Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Will K-5II/IIs firmware work for K-5 Classic?

Now that its more or less official that we'll see two new K-5 incarnations I guess Pentax will keep on working on the firmware for these two and providing firmware updates for these. Do you think that these updates will be compatible with our vintage K-5's (or "K-5 Classic" as I've started to call mine as of today)? I guess this would meen peope would be less likely to upgrade so from a corporate perspective it might not be to wise... Any thoughts?

09-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm certain that parts would be compatible, but others would not inasmuch as the K-5 mkII will have a new sensor. However, the real question is "will they" not "can they" in my mind.
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm certain that parts would be compatible, but others would not inasmuch as the K-5 mkII will have a new sensor. However, the real question is "will they" not "can they" in my mind.
I thought the K-5 II will have the same Sony sensor as the K-5? Or did they upgrade the sensor?
09-10-2012, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
Now that its more or less official that we'll see two new K-5 incarnations I guess Pentax will keep on working on the firmware for these two and providing firmware updates for these. Do you think that these updates will be compatible with our vintage K-5's (or "K-5 Classic" as I've started to call mine as of today)? I guess this would meen peope would be less likely to upgrade so from a corporate perspective it might not be to wise... Any thoughts?
When you download firmware updates, you actually install the whole firmware package. (You can jump from, say, ver. 1.09 directly to ver. 1.13 that way).

No doubt, the K-5 successor will have other/different functionalities and there will surely be differences in hardware that will require different drivers. So if you install such a package on your "K-5 classic" you would most certainly end up in serious trouble!

09-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Different processor and different AF system, possibly different viewfinder.. I doubt it would be compatible.
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I thought the K-5 II will have the same Sony sensor as the K-5? Or did they upgrade the sensor?
I mistyped, I meant to say a newly developed SAFOX X AF module and PRIME II image processing engine.
09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There's no chance it will work, unless the new AF system's been misrepresented to us. The firmware would have to contain conditional branches according to which focus system is in use. Even if feasible, there's no plus-side for Pentax. It would take longer to develop this way. It will be enough that they may already produce only one firmware for both the II and IIs models, which could actually have an upside.

09-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
There's no chance it will work, unless the new AF system's been misrepresented to us.
OK, now that it's announced, I see that it has the same number of AF points and the same PRIME II engine. So I suppose there's a small chance - perhaps even more chance than the II and IIs having the same firmware.
09-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
LIJ
Forum Member

Original Poster
It would be nice if they could put the applicable upgrades in a seperate firmware update for the "K-5 Vintage" so we could get some new functions (those that arent dependand on the new hardware in the updated versions). But I guess its very unusual to provide that type of update for a discontinued model.
09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The same sensor. Officially. The same proccesor. The same VF. Everything are the same.
Just AF system is a bit different at hardware level.
09-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I doubt it, Pentax would want you to buy a new camera.
10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Forum Member

Would be nice if they at least let us buy ($25)an updated firmware for the classic K5. Perhaps with manual video controls. *dreams*
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No, it won't work, though Pentax did say that they will continue to release bugfix firmware updates for the K-5 (i.e. if they discover a problem which dates back to the old K-5 and is also found in the K-5 II).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

No worries, Pentax is faithful to customers on that, I've got a new firmware for my K200D two years after it's production is ceased, IMO if they make a necessary firmware change on new K-5s they'll do it on the old K-5s too, but it won't be the same file.
11-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #15

I want to try if the k-5II firmware can fit on my K-5 ...