Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #46

the color moire is indeed easy to fix, what troubles me is the band? pattern? moire, if you take a close look at the bottom left of the feather miles posted,you can clearly see the band moire not removed, thats the information lost right from the sensor...
where are the k5iis samples !?!?!?! aaahhh i cant wait to see them..
btw i have somewhere a photo taken with my k-5 with moire and everything, using, wait for it... the kit 18-55wr lens ... and it's band moire pattern on fabric not severe but its there...(it'll take some time to find it and post it, lost in the chaos of my external drive)
as someone said in this forum(not exact words),if you try hard you can get moire with the k5, but is it something you have to try hard to avoid with the k5iis?
last but not least... band moire on fabric using the d800e, or in other words, what we want to avoid...
found the image googling d800e moire
source according to metadata is http://www.silkyfoto.com

Last edited by obscura; 10-18-2012 at 04:32 AM.
10-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by miles Quote
Moire: no big deal. Surely it's even easier to remove from a raw file. Software will soon be better at identifying it, since going AA-less looks like where we're heading (see recent Pentax interview).

I just edited this pic posted here in under one minute using the gimp... With other examples i've seen, C1 pro makes it disappear with its moire tool (2 sliders).

/

original / no moire
Most impressive.
10-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
as someone said in this forum(not exact words),if you try hard you can get moire with the k5, but is it something you have to try hard to avoid with the k5iis?
last but not least... band moire on fabric using the d800e, or in other words, what we want to avoid...
found the image googling d800e moire
source according to metadata is Silky33 page
It is nicely accentuating the curves, but you don't want this for any serious pictures when producing pictures for clothes as advertisement.
10-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #49
Pentaxian

FWIW, I wrote a small article on the "Pros and Cons of Omitting an AA-filter".

10-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is nicely accentuating the curves, but you don't want this for any serious pictures when producing pictures for clothes as advertisement.
I agree.

I've also seen it in clothes ads, disappointingly.
10-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aT0Mx Quote
More, for something they don't have to install? odd.

Anti-Aliasing filter.

Anti-aliasing filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I too am wondering why the IIs with less hardware and less installation effort is $100 higher rather than lower than the II. This seems to be a great idea for landscape shooters, but paying more for less seems to be a ripoff. Has Pentax commented on the reason for the price differential?
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glennm Quote
I too am wondering why the IIs with less hardware and less installation effort is $100 higher rather than lower than the II. This seems to be a great idea for landscape shooters, but paying more for less seems to be a ripoff.
The filter layers in front of the sensor are more complicated than you probably think.

Have a look at this image of the Canon 30D layers.

It isn't just a matter of omitting a part. Note that the AA-filter consists of three layers which are not adjacent to each other.

Removing the AA-filter either means replacing the layers with something else (Nikon's D800e uses two layers which aren't inactive, but cancel each other out) or having to perform different calibrations depending on the camera model.

All the above complicate mass production and it only makes sense for the variant that is produced in lower quantities to command a small extra.
10-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #53
Inactive Account

It all depends on the application

If you are shooting wide landscapes then the filterless K-5IIs will give you a sharper and more detailed image to work with in RAW. If you are shooting seascapes or other water-related scenes it should also work well.

Any fine and repetitive detail can cause moire patterns - generally not a problem with 'scapes. If you're doing product or portrait or (like people have demonstrated) birds you may see some problems. And not all moire can be handled in software.

So if you are shooting for multiple purposes you should have an AA filter or you should have two cameras to work with. I'm personally thinking about getting a K-5IIs to go with my original K-5.

But the comparison shots just published here in the K-5II/s review have sold me on the effectiveness of no AA filter for landscape shooting: Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

10-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #54
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
It only takes one bird to regret it
I saw a feather shot with a D800 and it had it. So as a birder I will pass.
Hoping the next round will bring a better camera for birders.
Sitting this one out with high hopes for the next round.