Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 IIs - Same as Mark 2 but minus AA filter... why?

Can someone explain why Pentax would offer a variant without the AA filter? What type of photog would want this particular feature?

09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Can someone explain why Pentax would offer a variant without the AA filter? What type of photog would want this particular feature?
Are these going to be the same price??

I'm confused by this as well.
09-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been reading that it creates sharper images, and it sure does create sharper and higher resolutions images but causes moire but it's easy to fix in post processing, basic lightroom tools can fix it. So I'm guessing it depends if your a raw shooter or JPEG shooter as RAW images work better in PP...
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not so sure that moire is easy to fix in post, I thought it was very difficult which is the reason almost all cameras have an AA filter.

09-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's for landscape/nature photographers who want the extra resolution. Repeating patterns like cloth, carpet, etc aren't really a problem out in nature.
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Higher resolution enables better prints - this enables more options in cropping while retaining a higher dpi mass, a great pro camera feature...
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Are these going to be the same price??
I'm confused by this as well.
$100 more for the AA-less version.

09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
What type of photog would want this particular feature?
Nobody, really, but it's a great way to release a new product at no added cost.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is an AA filter, alcoholic anonymous?
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
More, for something they don't have to install? odd.

Anti-Aliasing filter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing_filter
09-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would use the AA-filterless version. Many people have posted shots from the D800E that show repeating patterns without moire.
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An anti-aliasing filter is a filter used before a signal sampler, to restrict the bandwidth of a signal to approximately satisfy the sampling theorem. Since the theorem states that unambiguous interpretation of the signal from its samples is possible when the power of frequencies above the Nyquist frequency is zero, a real anti-aliasing filter can generally not completely satisfy the theorem. A realizable anti-aliasing filter will typically permit some aliasing to occur; the amount of aliasing that does occur depends on how good the filter is and what the frequency content of the input signal is.
Anti-aliasing filters are commonly used at the input of digital signal processing systems, for example in sound digitization systems; similar filters are used as reconstruction filters at the output of such systems, for example in music players. In the latter case, the filter is to prevent aliasing in the conversion of samples back to a continuous signal, where again perfect stop-band rejection would be required to guarantee zero aliasing.
The theoretical impossibility of realizing perfect filters is not much of an impediment in practice, though practical considerations do lead to system design choices such as oversampling to make it easier to realize "good enough" anti-aliasing filters.
-----------------
can someone explain what this mean?
09-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It only takes one bird to regret it
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

An anti-aliasing filter works by blurring the image just a tiny amount, only fractions of pixels, so that no details finer than the distance from one pixel to the next hit the sensor
09-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Nikon D800 vs. D800E

A good explanations why and why not to have it.