Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 starts with Firmware Screen

Lately when I turn my K-5 on the screen at the back is the one you should only see if you are holding down the menu button when turning on the power. I is the basic screen that says what version of firmware is loaded. It started while I was on vacation and then just periodically. Now it is doing it more often and does so regardless of the lens in use. Is this a known problem? Is there a solution? It is still under warranty but if there is a quick fix I would sure prefer that. Oh and I did download the latest firmware again and installed it but that made no difference.

09-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you still have the firmware file on your card? If so, delete it just as a precaution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good suggestion but I reformated the card right away so that should take care of it. The only thing that I can think of is that the menu button may be sticking causing the wrong screen to come up on start up.
09-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My K-5 started getting worse. Not only would the firmware screen come up intermittently on start-up, but the menu would come on without pushing the menu button and go off the same way. In playback mode if I move the camera the menu would come on. It went back to the dealer (I'm glad I bought local this time) and hopefully I'll have it back before Christmas. So much for autumn images.

10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's back. Less than three weeks for servicing across the country. Not bad. So far it appears okay as they just said they tightened something. That makes sense so I suppose something was loose inside that affected the ability of the camera rear buttons to function properly.

I recall when I bought it the store manager said that while he sells a lot more Canon and Nikon, Pentax has the quickest turnaound time for repairs. He must be right.