Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Realistically how good is the K-5II on paper?

I mean outside of Pentax world does the K5II still hold its ground against Nikon/Canon?? I mean you cant compare to their new entry level FF's but compare it to their current APS-C cameras.
I know we dont have all the info yet but from what info has been supplied.

09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes it can, but there have been no new high end APS-C DSLR's released by either Canon or Nikon since the original K-5 was released. The 300s is ancient now, as is the 7D. Only Sony has new options, but the K-5 beats them in IQ (but not AF). I'd think the Sony A77 is a better sports camera than the K-5 for instance.
09-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks odd. Everything is old inside. Just SAFOX 10 is new. But how good is it in real life?
We hope for one more new camera this year
09-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's still an excellent camera and probably still the best all round DSLR at its price point (just about). However one can reasonably expect that to change soon as other makers start to refresh their top end APS-Cs as well. The AF would have to be improved a lot to stay ahead of refreshed C & N top flight APS-Cs but it might, we don't know.

09-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally I feel that Pentax has nothing else to offer so they create K-5 II to give some new toy to keep Pentaxian happy and confused. I was looking forward to k-3 but honestly I am disappointed. AF is a weaker side of Pentax and likely to remain even with K-5 II.
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No aps-c dslr has trounced the K5 in terms of the balance of features, price, size, IQ, DR, low chroma high iso, handling, from the time K5 was released till now.
Match it or better it here and there perhaps, but nothing has beat it clearly and in all segments

So thats what a K5iis promises to be.
Better that the best.
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the K-5 still holds up well, and the K-5 II should only be better. For the K-5, its sensor is still at the top of APS-C heap (see DxOMark for sensor ratings), and its image quality ratings usually edge out the best Canikon APS-C offerings. Build quality is superb, and weather-sealed. Autofocus has been weak: slower, more likely to hunt in lower light, and not predictive when tracking moving objects. As I recall , the biggest negative of most reviewers at the time was the high initial cost. However, all of the top semi-pro APS-C models are due for a facelift, and Pentax's offering is certainly not a world-beater.
--- Don

09-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's still a very good camera, just not that much better than the original K-5. If I were Pentax I would either improve more and release a mark II, or just keep on producing the old K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree, the K-5 was amongst the best APS-C cameras, easily amongst the top 3 (wether is 1st 2nd or 3rd depends on the person). However since no new camera has been announced by competitors yet its hard to compare. The 7D 2.0 firmware update perhaps gave new life to the 7D, and no idea on what the D7000 replacement would be like. So, at the moment the new K-5 maintains the status quo.
09-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
Banned

Well it is still a very capable camera and with a new and better AF-module it would be even better. We have to see how good the AF-module is, but the sensor is still best in class! I hoped for a new processor making it more swift in working around the files and be snappier.

I'm happy with continuing the body (since july 2009 in my hands with the start off the K-7) and hope it can go on for a few more years. I'm also happy with the 16mp sensor since I can make descent sportsimages at iso6400 where a 24mp sensor would fall flat on his nose.
09-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's still a very good camera, just not that much better than the original K-5. If I were Pentax I would either improve more and release a mark II, or just keep on producing the old K-5.
I agree. Firstly, this new K5 will not be selling for around $900, so what am I getting for my money? Admittedly I really don't know about the complications of the electronics inside the K5 but I wonder...

Could there have been a higher max flash sync speed on the mark II?
Could the camera be able to make the most of the faster SD cards on the market?
Could they have added more points of focus?
Could they have added focus peaking?

I am a little suprised that Pentax/Ricoh has seemed to have turned to the Pentaxian and said "Here are the same lenses....but more expensive, here is a Tamron lens....but more expensive and here is the same K5 (with some tweeks)....but more expensive."
09-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Any news about the processor?

Anyway this sound as a let down to behonest, i was looking for something better then this.
09-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Problem is Pentax has the K30 who is placed very close to the K5.
Sure the mark II is an evolution of the K5 making it slightly better but is it enough difference?
At least it's a cheap upgrade for pentax this, anyway they call it the mkII so does that mean K3 is in the pipeline to be released soon?
09-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it is a bad camera. I am assuming that Pentax looked at the 24 megapixel sensor from Sony and didn't feel like it measured up to the 16 megapixel sensor that they were already assuming.

If we assume they picked the best sensor out there, then the question is more what technology and software they surround that sensor with. I sure wish they could have come up with some more bells and whistles than they did. More video options. Focus peaking? Deeper buffer (how cheap is memory anyway). Minimally lossless RAW. By putting the same sensor in multiple cameras, they end up separating them by crippling the lower end cameras with regard to features like Canon and Nikon do.

The problem that Pentax faces is that Nikon is going to be releasing a D7000 and sequel and D300s sequel soon and Canon will likely do the same with the 7D. I am just not sure how well these two cameras will match up against those.
09-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

According to rumours on the D600, aps camera makers are under increasing pressure to reduce price. By not putting a lot of manhours into reprogramming firmware for the K5 II, Pentax has managed to keep the price for a body to 1199 for the 5K II body or 1299 for the non-AA filter model. That probably is a very competitive price for the D7000 successor and the D300s successor. The Sony Nex7 retails for 1399 doesn't it?

Look what you're getting for the money with K5:
a) quietest shutter out there in the aps class anyway - this is a big deal for me.
b) great DR according to DXO
c) probably a competitive AF (as i remember, Canon used an F2.8 light sensitive focus sensor on the 5D MkII(?)
d) 7 fps
e) weather resistant body and many lenses

True, you are not getting NR picture stacking like the Sony, but that can be done with PP software.and the Sony isn't WR. Most of the action this year seems to be with the FF models and the mirrorless models.