09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
LR 4.1 and CS5.
me too
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 4.1. And I'll say that LR 4.x is a significant upgrade from previous versions 3.x and 2.x in terms of processing the image. I'm now able to pull much more out of shadows and highlights than I was with previous versions. So much so that I've gone back and reprocessed older files and the results have been very pleasing.

09-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 3.5 and Photoshop cs4. But i think i'm going to switch to Capture One pro as soon as i get a chunk of cash.
09-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR4, CS6, & Nik plug-ins
09-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I develop Raws in CS4 and convert to TIFF ... I then send them into Capture NX2 for finnishing touches and convert the TIFFS to JPGs. Its a bit long winded but the results are simply worth it.
09-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sounds like Lightroom 4 is a real winner. I saw a Corel product that just came out to compete with Lightroom that seems to be getting good reviews. What I've read about lightroom, I would love to sort out my pics by the metadata. I have bought, used, and sold many dslrs before ultimately deciding to stick with Pentax and it would be great to have them sorted by camera, lens, etc. Right now thats one of my major issues is trying to organize them all. I can't find any freeware or open source software that does this. If anyone knows something like this that I could use to organize my pics besides LR please let me know.

09-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I use Linux, and my processing software is excellent and was also entirely free.

I use DigiKam for importing and organising everything, and for exporting to flickr. It's free iPhoto.

I use Darktable for processing RAW images - you can use it to organise too, it's basically free Lightroom, but I'd already started with DigiKam before I got Darktable, so I've stuck with that.

For more serious touch-ups etc I use GIMP, which is free Photoshop.
09-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I hate post production... Had Lightroom and although I liked the editing stuff (curves were nice in particular) didn't get along with the rest of it at all... Generally find Adobe product a bit of a faff...

Currently using nothing but Picasa (free googleware)...

Capture One Pro looks quite intresting though... Shall find a UK supplier...
09-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I can't find any freeware or open source software that does this. If anyone knows something like this that I could use to organize my pics besides LR please let me know.
digiKam would certainly do that and much more besides - although I have to admit I primarily use it on my main PP machine which runs Linux. On my PC at work (Win7) digiKam is one minor version behind and seems a bit less stable than on its native OS. As I almost never do any PP on Windows anyway because of the lack of bash scripting and commandline options, it doesn't really bother me but if you run Windows as main OS I'd be the first to admit digiKam is probably not there yet for you although it is spitting out version updates faster than ever so YMMV.
10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
I saw a Corel product that just came out to compete with Lightroom that seems to be getting good reviews.
I believe you are referring to Corel Aftershot Pro. I could be wrong, but I expect that it is rebadged Bibble (Corel bough Bibble earlier this year). I used Bibble for a number of years before jumping to LR. I really liked the workflow, I hope they do well with it.

I currently use Lightroom and Paint Shop Pro for any detail work.
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #43

It's 'AfterShot Pro' and it is 'Bibble' renamed and tweaked a bit. It's an excellent program that does a great job on RAW, TIFF, and JPG files, BUT it will not handle DNG files which is it's only downfall IMO. For me, that doesn't matter as I don't use the DNG format.
My favorite programs, however, are 'Photo Mechanic', 'Photo Ninja', and my workhorse program, 'Capture One Pro 6'.
10-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Aperture 3 for almost every task. I always process the raw files (PEF or DNG). In a few cases I try / use Adobe Bridge CS4 / ACR (DNG) and Photoshop Elements 8.
10-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #45

Photoshop CS6. Expensive but worth it, IMHO.