Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What software do you use?

Lately, my pentax utility software just randomly shuts down or locks up. I'm looking for a good replacement I can afford and was wondering which other programs people out there seem to like and have had good luck with?

09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up one of the fairly common deals on Elements, it often goes on sale for $60 or so. I added plugins to make it do more: Smartcurve (free?), ReDynamix (about $15) and NeatImage. I bought that one for earlier cameras, since with my K-5 I have very seldom used that one!

I had been looking at deals for Lightroom, and Adam pointed out an extremely good price on LR3; I have it now but have not installed it, so no comments on its results yet. They must have had ~2 copies in a closet, it sold out in a hurry (thanks again Adam!).
09-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Corel Paintshop Pro X5
09-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can whole heartedly recommend Light Room. I have Elements too, but I have used it only on about half a dozen of the 20 pictures I have taken in the last 2 years. For the rest LIght Room have worked extremely well, and I love the abilitty it gives me to keep my photos organized, plus I love the non-destructive editing. I have a few plug-ins with it, but I actually find the benefit questionable, as I can typically get as good effects quickly with LR alone.

09-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photoshop suite...I could use other things, but I'm addicted....
09-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Corel PSP X4 It does all I need
09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

I have used Capture One Pro for a long time, but I also use Photo Mechanic and PhotoNinja. I don't like Adobe products because they are way too proprietary. Besides the raw converter in Capture One beats everything else I've tried.

09-15-2012, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Aperture 3 and Pixelmator
09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Aperture 3 and Pixelmator
The best combo if you have a Mac.
09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Elements - more than enough for most people. A pro would need Photoshop full deal but for the most part Elements does the trick without breaking the bank even for advance amateurs.
Lightroom is pretty cool if you have a few spare $100 bi;ls kicking around. If you really are a geek or a masochist you could download GIMP for free.
:-)
09-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What kind of OS do you use? Windows, OSX, Linux... That can make a difference in the kind of software you can use. As SpecialK links showed you there are many, many options!
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

i used adobe products through college as they were mandatory for graphic design courses, but they had a monopoly on image manitpulation and school felt liek a faq on photoshop/lightroom/etc.

since then i have deleted windows in favor of ubuntu (runs much faster) and use ufraw/gimp for photo manipulation/editing. it's an ideal match and has no ****ign DRM or other bs.
09-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Don't mess about. Get lightroom 4. It's a bargain at about $150. My computer has everything you could want as far as memory and speed go and paintshop and Elements are still slow and clunky to upload. I just came back with 25,000 images from my African trip and its all sitting beautifully laid out in lightroom, easy to grab any file i want as time goes on I can change the name of my files and reorganize my photos. Lightroom is designed for photographers. Photoshop and paintshop are designed for graphic artists with some tacky add ons for photographers. If you only take a few images they will do nicely. If you spend more time playing with your images than takng them then you are in graphic artist mode and should get paintshop or elements
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Don't mess about. Get lightroom 4. It's a bargain at about $150. My computer has everything you could want as far as memory and speed go and paintshop and Elements are still slow and clunky to upload. I just came back with 25,000 images from my African trip and its all sitting beautifully laid out in lightroom, easy to grab any file i want as time goes on I can change the name of my files and reorganize my photos. Lightroom is designed for photographers. Photoshop and paintshop are designed for graphic artists with some tacky add ons for photographers. If you only take a few images they will do nicely. If you spend more time playing with your images than takng them then you are in graphic artist mode and should get paintshop or elements
That's the best description of Photoshop & Paintshop I've heard to date and very true. Lightroom is a great program for photographers, I just prefer Capture One Pro.