Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frustrated focusing issue!

Okay, I love my K-5, especially the DR and the high iso performance. However, I am starting to have issues using my Pentax 35/2.4 AL lens with my K-5. The darn thing will just not focus using center-point but I don't seem to have an issue using auto-5 or auto-11. The issue is that I don't like using either of those focus modes. Any suggestions?

09-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wait, you mean it won't focus correctly, or the machine refuses to run AF?
09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

have you checked the calibration on the lens
09-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are a lot of threads on AF and the problems with the 11 point AF Pentax uses. The main takeaway for me is that the center AF point is NOT as small as the little red square you see in the viewfinder - its about as big as the ( ) marks in the viewfinder. Try thinking about that and see if something within the area covered by the ( ) marks isn't in focus instead of what you intended.

I'll beat others to the punch and say - post some photos with the problem

09-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait, you mean it won't focus correctly, or the machine refuses to run AF?
While in AF-s the lens just keep trying to focus while making that horrible "I can't focus" noise. I have no problems using the 18-55 kit lens that came with my K-r though. I have tried using the calibration feature in the camera using the + and - settings but that does not seem to make a difference. I added a link to the OOF images....I finally got it to focus on the last image (the 1st one on my flickr page). I deleted about 4 more images that were also OOF.

Flickr link: Flickr: treebeard1968's Photostream

Last edited by treebeard; 09-17-2012 at 08:09 AM.
09-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
While in AF-s the lens just keep trying to focus while making that horrible "I can't focus" noise. I have no problems using the 18-55 kit lens that came with my K-r though. I have tried using the calibration feature in the camera using the + and - settings but that does not seem to make a difference. I added a link to the OOF images....I finally got it to focus on the last image (the 1st one on my flickr page). I deleted about 4 more images that were also OOF.

Flickr link: Flickr: treebeard1968's Photostream
Maybe try turning the camera off, pulling the battery (with the lens still on) then turning it back on. I sometimes get the "failure to find focus" with my Tamron 18-75, but turning it off and on seems to fix it.
09-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try that.

09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you try aiming at a very obvious object? Like, a flat poster with a nice contrasty element?

If it focuses straight on, try moving around angles and see what happens. Aim to keep the solid contrasty element centered.
09-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have to ask (I always do): do you have a UV or 'protection' filter on that lens? If yes, take it off, put a hood on the lens, and try again.
09-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so this is interesting. I checked the battery and then noticed that it was one of the 3rd party brands I bought as backup (Pearstone). I pulled it...put the genuine Pentax battery in and then proceeded to use the lens with apparently no issue. I had no problems focusing on the flowers I used as an example. Weird or what?!
09-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Okay, so this is interesting. I checked the battery and then noticed that it was one of the 3rd party brands I bought as backup (Pearstone). I pulled it...put the genuine Pentax battery in and then proceeded to use the lens with apparently no issue. I had no problems focusing on the flowers I used as an example. Weird or what?!
put the questionable battery back in, and while attempting to focus, (suggest on a tripod to allow you to move away from the view finder) watch the top display as you are focusing. If it starts to fade, or goes off etc, then the third party battery, for what ever reason is dropping too low for things to work properly
09-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What I noticed is that before I took the battery out I was shooting at f/2.4, after turning the camera off and putting the Pentax battery in the aperture was f/5.6 and I swear I did not touch any dials!
09-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That battery issue is not surprising.

The camera is like a PC. Try running your desktop computer on a wonky power supply and you'll see all sorts of problems start to randomly appear.

My K-x would also sometimes have issues with AF performance, depending on what kind of batteries you put in (Lithiums vs alkalines vs eneloops), and battery charge too.
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got back from the beach. My k-5 and Tamron 70-200 gave me some more focusing issues. It seems that center point focus has become useless for me. I can't even use it to focus on a post that's an easy target at 70mm. I am starting to wonder if I need to send the body in for checking. I love this camera, but I am not sure why my lenses hunt so damn much!
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem found!

What a knucklehead I am. I put the Tamron 70-200 on my k-r and I was like, "wow, that focuses fast!" After looking at the contacts on my K-5 I noticed alot of grime and stuff where the lens meets the body. I cleaned the contacts with an eraser and wiped the grime off and behold, I can now use center focus and my lenses seem to SNAP to focus quickly now. Sheesh.