Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing screen on K-5 Mk II models?

I just went to Adorama to look at the K-5 Mk.IIs. I was surprised to see this statement

"The glass Pentaprism viewfinder offers a full 100% field of view, with a Natural-Bright Matte II focusing screen for easier manual focusing."

They state that like it's new. Isn't this the same focusing screen that has been in use, and rather poor, since the K10D?

09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, it's the same focusing screen. Remember, retailers just regurgitate what they are told, and spec sheets are full of typos, marketing slogans, and the such

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, it's the same focusing screen. Remember, retailers just regurgitate what they are told, and spec sheets are full of typos, marketing slogans, and the such
Thanks. Yes, it's just that focusing is my central reason for considering the IIs. That statement, in the context of a new K-5 that focuses more accurately is misleading to everyone not an insider. I had to look at it twice to realize that it was same old same old and even then wasn't completely sure.
09-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax K-5 manual says it has a "interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte III" focusing screen. So either a typo somewhere or the K-5II uses a different screen. I'm betting on typo.

09-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Pentax K-5 manual says it has a "interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte III" focusing screen. So either a typo somewhere or the K-5II uses a different screen. I'm betting on typo.
Yes, unless the II model that was in the K10-20 models is somehow better with the AA filter removed than the III model is that the current K-5 comes with??? Typo.
09-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I believe I've seen similar verbage on blurbs for the K-30 and was wondering if they'd taken steps forward in that area. I guess not.