Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about some serious info on AA/noAA filter!

Why no AA filter on the K5IIs is calling for some proper explanations. I'm really interested in this and I found this good article at Luminous-landscapes which brightens my horizon.
Any other good stuff out there?
The Naked Sensor

09-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Why no AA filter on the K5IIs is calling for some proper explanations. I'm really interested in this and I found this good article at Luminous-landscapes which brightens my horizon.
Any other good stuff out there?
The Naked Sensor
Thanks for finding that article. I enjoyed reading it as I too am interesed in the IIs and its potential.

I found this part about Ricoh particularly interesting in the context of the new K-5 IIs

Ricoh GXR With Mount A12 - Bayer Pattern Sensor, No AA Filter
A look at current cameras without AA filters would be incomplete without some discussion of Ricoh's Mount A12 unit. This "camera module", which fits in a Ricoh GXR body, is unusual for two reasons. First, it features not only a Leica M lens mount but also an optical system (including micro-lenses) that is specifically designed to work with rangefinder cameras lenses. The second is that it features no AA filter (something I had been urging the company to do for several years). Recently I have been working on a series of tests to look at how two EFCs (electronic finder cameras), the Ricoh GXR Mount A12 and the Sony NEX-5n, performed with a series of "difficult" rangefinder lenses. The lenses were mounted on the Sony using a Voigtlander adapter. I was especially interested in how each camera would perform in the outer zones (with respect to resolution, luminance vignetting and color drift) and it turned out that there were indeed notable differences between them. But what I also discovered (in the course of doing careful, controlled, focus-bracketed studio tests of resolution) was that - with every tested lens - the Ricoh out-resolved the Sony on center. The key difference between them, in this respect of course, is that the Sony uses an AA filter and the Ricoh does not. Of course, if one has to up-res. the 12 MP Ricoh file to match the dimensions of the 16-MP Sony file the former's resolution advantage is lost. But looking at actual size files without interpolation (made using the same lens) the resolution advantage of the "non-AA filter" camera was undeniable.