Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Adorama's First Look at the K-5 Mk.II

Pentax K-5 II and Pentax K-5 IIs Ruggedized DSLRs First Look from Adorama Learning Center

They also have a page up on the Q10:
http://www.adorama.com/ALC/News.aspx?googleid=0013884&alias=Pentax-Q10-Mirro...EmailALC092112

Not much there but these 2(3) cameras were featured in the email I got along with Hassy, Nikon, Canon, and the other bigger players.

09-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member
GDRoth's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 831
Adorama describes the IIs as more of a studio camera and the II for where the photographer has less control over lighting..............

Can someone expound on that distinction? I don't quite understand what they mean by that. I thought the IIs delivered more detail due to the filter not being there....
09-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Adorama describes the IIs as more of a studio camera and the II for where the photographer has less control over lighting..............

Can someone expound on that distinction? I don't quite understand what they mean by that. I thought the IIs delivered more detail due to the filter not being there....
It's sharper without the AA filter but at the cost of moire patterns in the image. Studio folks have more control over what they are shooting, lighting, and other factors that would lead to moire appearing in the image. There is a better review here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199714-k-5-ii-vs-k...ml#post2108517
09-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 171
The K-5 IIs is more susceptible to moire patterns Moiré pattern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the studio you can avoid the problem because you have more control over conditions.

09-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,331
But wouldn't there be less potential moire patterns out in nature, rather than with man-made and artificial objects?
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But wouldn't there be less potential moire patterns out in nature, rather than with man-made and artificial objects?
If you are shooting nature per se' then probably yes. However, if you are shooting man made things, just outside, then no.
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,417
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Adorama describes the IIs as more of a studio camera and the II for where the photographer has less control over lighting..............

Can someone expound on that distinction? I don't quite understand what they mean by that. I thought the IIs delivered more detail due to the filter not being there....

Not a good recommendation, I think. It's true that adjusting lighting can reduce moire, but who wants this concern to determine the lighting used? I'd suggest the K-5IIs for landscape and nature work, but not for imaging man-made items. Now, if you are shooting portraits and can eliminate clothing that might produce moire, go for the K-5IIs.

Of course, this hypothesis needs testing on the actual cameras.
09-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 886
I'm by no means an expert on moire, but I don't see how outside or studio would matter. Moire is all about patterns that are incompatible with the grid-like nature of a sensor. You're either shooting a pattern that will cause moire, or you aren't; I don't see how inside or out, or what kind of lighting makes a difference. And from my experience shooting for Backpacker Mag, the things we shoot inside (backpacker, shoes, tents, whatever) are way more likely to moire than the stuff we shoot outside (hiking, nature, landscape and such). But like Docrwm said, that just comes down to what you're shooting. If you were shoot people inside, and architecture/patterns outside, you would probably have a bigger problem outside.

09-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I'm by no means an expert on moire, but I don't see how outside or studio would matter. Moire is all about patterns that are incompatible with the grid-like nature of a sensor. You're either shooting a pattern that will cause moire, or you aren't; I don't see how inside or out, or what kind of lighting makes a difference. And from my experience shooting for Backpacker Mag, the things we shoot inside (backpacker, shoes, tents, whatever) are way more likely to moire than the stuff we shoot outside (hiking, nature, landscape and such). But like Docrwm said, that just comes down to what you're shooting. If you were shoot people inside, and architecture/patterns outside, you would probably have a bigger problem outside.
The article I liked has some examples and offers that most moire can be handled in post, but not all. I am waiting to see output from the IIs and hear from users.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199714-k-5-ii-vs-k...ml#post2108517
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,992
Frankly, the retail store bloggers know very little about Pentax products beyond the spec sheets and press releases they receive. At least that has been my impression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Frankly, the retail store bloggers know very little about Pentax products beyond the spec sheets and press releases they receive. At least that has been my impression.
Yes, but I am more impressed that 2 of the 9 items featured in their email blast ad were Pentax cameras.
09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,124
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, but I am more impressed that 2 of the 9 items featured in their email blast ad were Pentax cameras.
FINALLY, Pentax is mentioned (even featured) in Adorama's email. HooRay!!!
09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member
westmill's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stoke on Trent
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
I think they probably mean that the S version would be better for the studio for the extra sharpness that is needed for a lot of commercial work etc.
That would make sense. If it is as sorted as the Fuji cameras...... nuff said !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adorama: Ed n Georgia General Talk 6 03-09-2011 06:52 AM
Way to go Adorama! shades General Talk 3 02-28-2011 07:57 AM
Adorama Suggestion RAMOS79 General Talk 14 01-21-2011 12:21 PM
Question Adorama and B&H theunartist Site Suggestions and Help 8 01-04-2011 12:03 AM
Adorama or B&H? Tamia Photographic Technique 43 11-21-2010 03:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top