Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

K5 II Purchase Worries

So waiting for the K5 II, but am I right to have a few concerns?

1. Two of my friends have K5's - 1 had dust behind the screen fom day one, the other had dust behind the screen after one shoot. For me, this does seem a bit odd seeing as the camera is meant to be dust proof! Will the new gapless screen help this at all?

2. Lens release button - fixed? Looks like a similar design.

I really think the K5 II could be the perfect camera, I just hope they have fixed these minor niggles.

09-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once the lens is Installed at the factory , it is dust proof as long as you do not change lens ,
Every one has to blow the dust out from time to time
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's no room for dust in between the outer and inner layer of the screen in the new design, so yes. As for the lens release button, I don't think that was a QC issue.

With that said, dust does have the tendency to get in anywhere...

What's certain is that we won't be seeing sensor stains or mirror flop!
The Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs Report - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote

1. Two of my friends have K5's - 1 had dust behind the screen fom day one, the other had dust behind the screen after one shoot. For me, this does seem a bit odd seeing as the camera is meant to be dust proof! Will the new gapless screen help this at all?

I really think the K5 II could be the perfect camera, I just hope they have fixed these minor niggles.
Not to worry, any camera can and does have issues, but they are rare. I've had my K-5 for a while and have had no problems whatsoever and I don't baby it either. I keep it strapped to my side while hiking and bushwhacking through some pretty heavy vegetation. It's never let me down! Just another reason I love Pentax!

09-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Intersting about the screen. IMO it should have been sealed to stop dust getting in there in the first place! Hoe can you blow dust from behind the LCD?

Good news about sensor stains and mirror flops!
09-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I am pretty sure the recessed lcd screen on the new K5II will likely prevent dust intrusion if that is what you are referring to. I think that some people were having trouble with dust getting under the screen covering.

I doubt that the lens button is still an issue. It was a fairly easy fix to begin with. You would think that new production could take care of that.

The other poster is correct. You will get dust inside the camera shutter box periodically. Most times you can blow or brush it out easily. You also may have dust inside the camera shutter box from the get go. With all the handling during shipment, it has to be common to dislodge dust. I know that mine had some.
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Was referring to dust under LCD cover - but was hoping the recessed LCD will help this as its quite annoying on my friends and a pain to have to send it away to get sorted.

09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Was referring to dust under LCD cover - but was hoping the recessed LCD will help this as its quite annoying on my friends and a pain to have to send it away to get sorted.
1. It was a very infrequent occurrence AFAIK.
2. Should be prevented with new design.
09-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Folk's what's this about sensor stain and mirror flop? Because I have a K-5 coming and need to know
how to tell if its got those problems :
09-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unless your camera was manufactured in 2010, you'll be fine
09-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unless your camera was manufactured in 2010, you'll be fine
How can you check when it was manufactured?
09-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
How can you check when it was manufactured?
Several ways:

- Approximate: check the K-5 serial number database on these forums. See where your serial number fits in the chronology;

- Exact: take a JPG image with the camera, and either
(a) open it with Exiftool or (b) upload the JPG to Jeffrey's EXIF viewer, and read the manufacture date in the EXIF.
09-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sqjaw Quote
Once the lens is Installed at the factory , it is dust proof as long as you do not change lens ,
Every one has to blow the dust out from time to time
Oh no it isn't. Zooming a lens creates a pressure difference which can act like a vacum cleaner drawing in air from the outside which can deposit any dust sucked in onto the sensor etc.