Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Strange Exposure issue

On my K5, I'm often shooting and on the camera screen and camera histogram indicate the images are exposed properly (shooting RAW), but once I get them into LR, they are over exposed. (both visually & on the histogram. Easy to fix it, but still a pain having to fix the images after the fact. Monitor is calibrated. I know the camera preview is just a rendering, but how do I get it to show a proper representation?

09-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
OK5

Are your LR preferences set to apply auto tone adjustments? If so, LR is way off the mark in its auto tone function.
09-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OK5 Quote
Are your LR preferences set to apply auto tone adjustments? If so, LR is way off the mark in its auto tone function.
Nope. I have it either apply nothing on import, or one of my own presets, but my own preset doesn't use any "Auto" features. Good thinking though.
09-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
OK5

In LR there is also another setting under preferences, presets ,default develop settings, with a box to check for an auto tone function.
However, you seem like you know what you are doing and this is probably unchecked, but it might be worth a look.

09-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OK5 Quote
In LR there is also another setting under preferences, presets ,default develop settings, with a box to check for an auto tone function.
However, you seem like you know what you are doing and this is probably unchecked, but it might be worth a look.
Actually didn't know that was there, but it isn't checked.
09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera displays images and histogram after running the raw file through its JPEG engine, using whatever JPEG settings are currently defined in the relevant camera menus. Is there a setting in there somewhere that would act to 'tone down' the JPEG (like a Muted scene setting, or something else you have tweeked and then forgotten about)? That might act to pull back a somewhat overexposed image as you look at it in the camera.

Also you could test develop some RAW files in the Pentax software provided with the camera - this appears to be programmed to replicate the behavior of the camera JPEG engine quite closely (including the Pentax scene settings), and might give a clue as to whether camera exposure or a software RAW developing issue is at play.
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
The camera displays images and histogram after running the raw file through its JPEG engine, using whatever JPEG settings are currently defined in the relevant camera menus. Is there a setting in there somewhere that would act to 'tone down' the JPEG (like a Muted scene setting, or something else you have tweeked and then forgotten about)? That might act to pull back a somewhat overexposed image as you look at it in the camera.

Also you could test develop some RAW files in the Pentax software provided with the camera - this appears to be programmed to replicate the behavior of the camera JPEG engine quite closely (including the Pentax scene settings), and might give a clue as to whether camera exposure or a software RAW developing issue is at play.
I was thinking it was something like this, but I searched the menu's and couldn't find the Jpg option settings to check what the settings are. I might have to pull the manual out. I hate it when that happens. lol