Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comparison of the K-5 Mk II and the 5D Mk III

Canon 5D Mark III vs Pentax K-5 IIs - Our Analysis

Although with comparisons like this one it makes one wonder...

The 5D Mk III is superior because it has

Faster autofocusPhase detectionvsContrast detection
Catch candid moments easily

09-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Currently Snapsort has the AF of the k-5II wrong
09-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Yes, it's also interesting that they are comparing a $3500 and a $1500 camera. The Mk II's aren't even out yet, no one has really handled one and been able to examine the output, and yet folks are already trying to do a compare and contrast. Amazing. There's no real data to go by, even if you do get the specs right.
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, it's also interesting that they are comparing a $3500 and a $1500 camera. The Mk II's aren't even out yet, no one has really handled one and been able to examine the output, and yet folks are already trying to do a compare and contrast. Amazing. There's no real data to go by, even if you do get the specs right.
"How do we make the 5D Mk3 look good?"
"Hey, let's compare to the D80- oh.. well, how bout the D60-... hmm Nikon won't like that.."

09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Not surprising - for the first six months they had the K5 on their site it was listed as "best in class" if you explicitly searched for it, but if you did a general search for recommendations, it never showed up because they had no "online prices" for it. I had to send them the links for Amazon and B&H pages, and a week later it started showing up.
09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Over twice the price and it's a little bit better!

Wow!
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

The best cameras
the k-5 is still #7 if you messure the overall quality.
and in the first 10 places there are 2 pentaxes k-5 & k-30
but the thing is how they messure the score...
Score - Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Pentax K-5 IIs
they dont have any info about the k-5iis but even if they did it wouldnt matter...

what i want to see is raw images from the k5iis vs k5ii and why not vs k5
also i want to see how the -3ev af behaves, how much better is the focusing in general...
i dont want many af points 99% of the time i use the center point, if it locks with confidence and the pictures are sharp
well i may as well start a budget for the iis

Last edited by obscura; 09-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.
09-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Snapsort is just a scrapbook of data pulled in from other sites, so it's hardly surprising that there are errors and omissions and some plain dumb things happening there.
09-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #9

It says a lot negative about the Snapsort "review" when it sees no difference between the K5IIs and the K-5II! Apparently they did not bother to read the specs or they have no idea of what an anti-aliasing filter is or how its removal will change increase the resolution of the camera.
The issue for reviewers will be the possible cost of that improvement in aliasing aberrations. I am a bit surprised that they did not address the diffraction limit that is being pushed by Canon's 22.3 MP, 1.6 times crop sensor. the diffraction limit is the basic technical reason in favour the larger format sensor, Full Frame or larger. Using the Cambridge calculator, my K-10 has a basic diffraction limit of f11.4, the K5's are at f9 and the Canon 5D Mark III is f7.3. The Pentax cameras can produce usable images at f22 but Canon's resolution has got to be falling pretty fast by f11 and should be seriously degraded at f22. Raising the number of pixels in a sensor of the same size necessarily means making them smaller and the diffraction limit is right there waiting to diminish the returns. Software signal processing and noise limiting are also an area where the differences between the competitors can be found. Hopefully the reviewers will start measuring the right things.
It is strange that nobody has been able to look closely at any K-5II and K-5IIs images when there are clearly a considerable number of bodies in existence and production deliveries to retail are supposed to start in three weeks. How strange is it that no images from a K-5II have been released or leaked by now?
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Canon 5D Mark III vs Pentax K-5 IIs - Our Analysis

Although with comparisons like this one it makes one wonder...

The 5D Mk III is superior because it has

Faster autofocusPhase detectionvsContrast detection
Catch candid moments easily
I thought Pentax just came out with two new cameras !! Mark II and Mark IIs ??

JP