Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is the mirror flop problem solved?

i.e. If I buy a K5 after a certain serial number it won't develop the problem? Or if I buy a repaired K5 the problem won't reoccur?

Thanks - Greg

Last edited by greg_77; 09-24-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Typo
09-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't heard much on it in quite a while, so I'd presume they fixed the issue. But, that's not to say it couldn't still be happening, just at lower rates.
09-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eulogy. I just wish it was more well defined. Maybe I'll just have to wait until (no) reports from the K5 II come in.

Greg
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're waiting for a camera with no reported problems, you might be waiting a while. Regardless of brand.

09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
If you're waiting for a camera with no reported problems, you might be waiting a while. Regardless of brand.
True. It just seems (from my limited understanding) that this problem can make the camera unusable which makes it a bigger issue than some others that DSLRs have.
09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

My first K-5 had it. For me it seemed to be heat related. Multiple attempts at repair by Pentax Germany failed. I got a replacement body. I was in Montreal in August. A very hot August. I occasionally had mirror flap then. I am just back from Corfu where the trip started hot. Very hot. I had a few mirror flap episodes. Double flap on exposure, and a flap when the review function timed out. PLEASE NOTE despite the unsettling nature of this issue, there was never a problem with picture taking, or any significant camera function that I could determine. Only a flap, or a double flap, and the business of picture taking continued perfectly fine. Perhaps this is not encouraging... and I will surely bring it up when I sent it in for my 2 year clean and lube, but in truth, I am not worried and am *thrilled* with my K-5 photography.
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting. So it doesn't prevent picture taking for most people (everyone)?

09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my K5 for almost a year with no issues at all. The remaining K5's are at the lowest prices you will ever see (new) so now is the time to buy unless you want one of the "new improved" models.
09-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Forum Member

My First K5 had the stains so I've sent it to replace for the new one which came with the mirror issue. True on a hot day (Yea I was in Corfu too in Late August) with a full charge battery sometimes the camera is just an embarrassing load on the shoulder. Useless. Since I can’t use it to take pictures. It will not affect the picture - just that the camera will not take a picture. Sad but I got it at my end of the first year or warranty - wonted to be sure stain issues are gone