Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how should k5II(s) be promoted?

It seems the initial reaction has been invariably "bleh". i and a very few (aka "insignificant") others said "let's wait and see, ignore the name and specs", that's not good news overall.

it seems people who handled it, have been pleasantly surprised, people who've seen samples from the s as well. The problem is the presence (especially in the US, from what people are saying) is not good enough for this to "work"

so, imho:

- give real photographers samples to test in actual shooting (should have been done one month ago, and tests should be ongoing, but better late than never). one name that comes to mind is marc langile (for af in difficult conditions, and image quality; make sure you bundle a lens or two that make the af work it's muscles, not the 18-55; perhaps that new 560 wouldn't be out of place for a birder, eh?); another should be a sports photographer (if you can find one) -- make sure there's opportunity for indoors stuff, as it seems that's where the new -3 ev and such should shine, and one landscape photographer (again, make sure the proper lenses are available), maybe somebody from luminous landscape or such, for this last segment.

- spread those samples comparing k5, k5II, and k5IIs _now_. by mid october some people must be convinced, not "waiting for dpreview review to be out"

At this point, any "standard" test is useless. The people who will buy such a camera will be convinced by other photographers (not one pentax landscape photographer in 1000 will switch now from k20d (for instance) to k5IIs, but if luminous_landscape_reichman (or what's his name?) says that the aa-less k5 is the bees knees for this and that kind of shooting, that's a different story). For this kind of upgrade, it's clear specs (and even "dpreview like reviews") are meaningless, turn to the photographers. (note: i'm a bit biased, as i've been tired of the "synthetic reviews" for years now, and only use them for checking the "specs", aka "i find them useless")

Any other thoughts? seems they haven't done much yet (or at least we have yet to hear about it), so maybe they could use a hand

09-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/199571-how-would-y...tax-dslrs.html
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I would suggest massive trade-in/upgrade discounts for current classic K-5 owners, especially those suffering low-light focus accuracy and bounce flash issues.
09-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Two photos side-by-side... and a caption "This is your brain through an AA filter, this your brain without one"... the left will look like you had Vaseline in your eyes, the right would be super sharp.

09-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #5

Nice idea...

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Two photos side-by-side... and a caption "This is your brain through an AA filter, this your brain without one"... the left will look like you had Vaseline in your eyes, the right would be super sharp.
They should have shown these at Photokina. That they just pulled a few out but hid them again was just weird. If it really made a difference, they should have shouted it out. "Who needs FF when you can get this from an APC". They did not so we are left still wondering where is the beef?
09-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A video of the IIs with Hot Chicks, Beer, Cigars and AC/DC playing "Big Balls"
09-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

PENTAX K-5II :
FACE THE WET DARKNESS

Nah.
09-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Well here is a quick overview from Luminous Landscape comparing the D800 vs D800e in terms of AA and no AA....To me it does look promising from the only other example available. So, I too am just dumbfounded. They had the perfect opportunity and failed to use it to their advantage. Given a demonstrable difference - I would certainly be interested.

09-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nikon upgraded the D300 to the D300s quite successfully. For marketing purposes, the "We made a great camera even better" promotion works. Pentax could have called the new models something different but opted for K5 ll. Whether it works for them or not remains to be seen. On paper it appears better. We'll have a better idea when it hits the streets and thorough tests are done.
09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
simple....it should be introduced to a public by a bunch japanese beauties in a schoolgirl uniforms
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
simple....it should be introduced to a public by a bunch japanese beauties in a schoolgirl uniforms
K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Maybe they will... in Japan anyway... well, maybe not quite as flashy - but they seem to be having presentations or sorts over the next few weekends.
09-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that the people who will benefit most from this are already aware and considering one. But there many other photographers who won't be aware - they're the segment that should be made aware. The way to go about that is to find out their habits and make sure that the K5iis is seen by them. So the question is what are their habits, how do you easily get this camera and its abilities in front of their nose?

Personally I think that giving one to photographers with large 'followings' or 'readerships' is surely a sensible way forward. I wouldn't know what their budget for such exercises would be, but if they chose say the 5 most followed photographers using pentax on facebook, flickr, twitter, 1x and make sure there are enough in different segments (ie macro, landscape) then a heck of a lot of people would find out very quickly about this cam's abilities. Without blowing my own horn, I for example get about 200 faves and comments in 24hr when I put a photo up on Flickr. That's a very large part of the active extreme macro crowd, who would be rather interested in such a cam, like it or not if they gave me one it would get far more exposure than most of their expensive advertising campaigns.
09-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I suspect that's why they have exhibits/events and been releasing movies (although not as of late).

People in the photography world would be inclined to see the artsy stuff right? So getting exposure through that should work in theory.