Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Finally pull the trigger on a K5

I just bought a K5. I had my beloved K20D for couple of years. I am very happy with it.

For those who went from a K20D to K5, what are the things I need to watch for?

What things are different between them?

How satisfied are you with the change?

Thanks in advance for your input.

09-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It'll take a while for you to get used to the new control layout, but you'll eventually find that it's much better than the old one. I do miss the SR switch a little, though.

The ISO button is probably the biggest change. One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever disable auto ISO, you can only re-enter it by pressing the green button and the ISO button at the same time. It should then say "ISO Auto" in the VF and on the top LCD.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed. I can't seem to use the K-10 anymore, the buttons are all "wrong." You'll get used to the new layout very quickly, it's more intuitive.
You'll notice you can go much higher in ISO, so you can often shoot with much higher shutter speeds, making shake reduction less required outdoors.
09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It'll take a while for you to get used to the new control layout, but you'll eventually find that it's much better than the old one. I do miss the SR switch a little, though.

The ISO button is probably the biggest change. One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever disable auto ISO, you can only re-enter it by pressing the green button and the ISO button at the same time. It should then say "ISO Auto" in the VF and on the top LCD.
Thanks Adam for your input. I will check it out.

Ter-or, thanks for your input.

09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Most has been already said but the Liveview button on the K-5 can be a bit annoying in that it's very near the AF button and you will find you may turn on LV instead of AF. This really is a large upgrade and after about a month with a K-5m, if you pick up your K-20 you won't understand why the darn thing doesn't do this or that. Mainly the K-5's back LCD display - menu - level - blank screens are really great. All I can say is that the K-5 was the one I was waiting for. (Ok, so now I'm waiting for the K-5IIs...)
09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Most has been already said but the Liveview button on the K-5 can be a bit annoying in that it's very near the AF button and you will find you may turn on LV instead of AF. This really is a large upgrade and after about a month with a K-5m, if you pick up your K-20 you won't understand why the darn thing doesn't do this or that. Mainly the K-5's back LCD display - menu - level - blank screens are really great. All I can say is that the K-5 was the one I was waiting for. (Ok, so now I'm waiting for the K-5IIs...)
I'm trying to stop mixing the green button and the AE-L, don't ask me how. The AF feels too different from the others to mix it up.