Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
anniversary party in and out K5

I have never done this before. I have never used automatic settings. Should I shoot in AV mode with auto ISO with my 16-50 Pentax DA, or use automatic?? Very nervous. This is family. Candids are not my forte.
Thanks for any help.
Sharon

09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

How soon is the party? If you have a few days, you should set up your camera like you might be using it and practice a bit.

I'm assuming from what you said that you always shoot on M mode. One might ask why change? Many of us can give you suggestions on what we might do but it really depends on you and what your comfort zone is. This sounds like it's indoors and that can be tricky. Are you using flash? Do you expect fast action, low light, ??? Need to know a bit more about the setting to help.

OTOH, you might consider using Tav mode which will let you vary the f-stop and shutter speed while adjusting the ISO accordingly. You need to be sure that the ISO range doesn't get too big like more than say 100-1600 in case of noise. I will say that my preference when doing that kind of thing is Av mode as it's my normal setting, if I use flash, I'll switch to Tv mode. I'll make sure that when I'm in flash mode the WB is set to flash, and I'm likely to have the the WB set to auto if operating in varied light (natural and electrical).

$0.02 USD
09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd also recommend you try out the TAV mode ahead of time - It's like M with auto ISO (and therefore Auto Exposure).

If using flash some then definitely try it out ahead of time. Sometimes it's OK to use Green or P mode for flash shots, especially if you don't have time to set things up right, or you notice your flash shots are coming out wrong and don't have time to figure it out. But try TAV for the non-flash shots. I set the Max ISO on mine to 5000. If you keep hitting ISO 5000, then naturally you need to open up your aperture or slow down your shutter.

The DA*16-50 should be a good choice for an event like this. Also consider something longer for candids, if you have it (e.g. DA*50-135, or a 70/77/85/100/135 prime).
09-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply. I usually shoot in Av mode. This works for my floral/macro, (Tamron 90mm macro/portrait) and for birds. Although, I do have to pay attention to shutter speed when using my big lens in Av mode, (Sigma 150-500). And I have used TAV for birds. I have an external flash, a Metz, which I got for Christmas and really have not learned to use yet. I wanted to be like the big boys with their flashes at birding events. The Metz manual is hundreds of pages long and the first language is NOT English…daunting. You say to someone at a workshop that you are shooting with Pentax and have an external Metz flash and they look at you like you are speaking Greek! I don't understand green or P mode yet. I just got the K5 a few weeks ago and have been doing DSLR with a Pentax Kx for under 3 years or so. I have an older lens, a Tamron LD 28-200, which belonged to my husband when he was shooting with film. It is why I bought the Pentax Kx in the firstplace. It is a pretty good lens, 3.8-5.5. I think I will try the TAV and set the ISO high range to 5000 as one of you suggests. I have the ISO auto set pretty high now. I do a bit of B@W artsy stuff and I like the noise. I would like to understand the green and P modes better and what settings to use for the flash. I need a personal tutor! I do have lots of books but I'd rather learn by being out there fooling around. This sometimes works. But, often leads to frustration!! This is a great forum. Thank you so much.
Sharon

09-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
How soon is the party? If you have a few days, you should set up your camera like you might be using it and practice a bit.

I'm assuming from what you said that you always shoot on M mode. One might ask why change? Many of us can give you suggestions on what we might do but it really depends on you and what your comfort zone is. This sounds like it's indoors and that can be tricky. Are you using flash? Do you expect fast action, low light, ??? Need to know a bit more about the setting to help.

OTOH, you might consider using Tav mode which will let you vary the f-stop and shutter speed while adjusting the ISO accordingly. You need to be sure that the ISO range doesn't get too big like more than say 100-1600 in case of noise. I will say that my preference when doing that kind of thing is Av mode as it's my normal setting, if I use flash, I'll switch to Tv mode. I'll make sure that when I'm in flash mode the WB is set to flash, and I'm likely to have the the WB set to auto if operating in varied light (natural and electrical).

$0.02 USD
I really don't understand the relationship between shutter speed and flash, that is, how the camera communicates with the flash and what the resulting shutter speed actually becomes. You want the flash to allow for an exposure which would otherwise be impossible with the available light? You want the same focal length, aperture, shutter speed that you would have with good ambient light, but you don't have enough light so you use the flash to compensate. You make a decision about depth of field (aperture) and you use the correct shutter speed in relation to your focal length so that you can focus well, and, given all of that you want your flash to assist you if you do not wish to have an ISO through the roof. Is that the way I should be thinking about flash? When using an external flash (on the boot) is the flash speed always the same? These sorts of questions I could find answers to in all the books I have I suppose. I have a Metz, mecablitz 58 AF-2, as I said in the other reply, but It looks so complicated and I have not taken the time to really play with it.
09-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharonboggi Quote
I really don't understand the relationship between shutter speed and flash, that is, how the camera communicates with the flash and what the resulting shutter speed actually becomes. You want the flash to allow for an exposure which would otherwise be impossible with the available light? You want the same focal length, aperture, shutter speed that you would have with good ambient light, but you don't have enough light so you use the flash to compensate. You make a decision about depth of field (aperture) and you use the correct shutter speed in relation to your focal length so that you can focus well, and, given all of that you want your flash to assist you if you do not wish to have an ISO through the roof. Is that the way I should be thinking about flash? When using an external flash (on the boot) is the flash speed always the same? These sorts of questions I could find answers to in all the books I have I suppose. I have a Metz, mecablitz 58 AF-2, as I said in the other reply, but It looks so complicated and I have not taken the time to really play with it.
It's going to be on Cape Cod, in and out of the house next weekend.
Thank you guys very much.