Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What type of photographers will benefit from IIs

From what I have been able to discern, the K-5 IIs is designed for a particular type of photographer in mind. Most amateurs, at any level, do not want to be bothered with yet another Adobe touch up brush. An amateur with one camera body who shoots landscapes, architecture, friends and children will likely do better with the K-5 II. Some professionals would not want to have to touch up more photos, especially those who shoot weddings, where textile patterns might glow.

So, what do you think is the type of photographers would benefit most from the K-5 IIs?

I guess, a very advanced amateur or a professional with funds to buy and strength to carry two or more bodies and shoots landscapes with wide lenses and the aperture closed down for maximum depth of field would be an ideal person for the IIs.

Can you suggest any others?

09-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do aerial photography and currently have 2 K-5's and one K30. I'm thinking that the IIs might be good for me to get a little more resolution on the images. I also print big and this could be beneficial. I hope i can see some samples before taking the decision to replace both of my K-5's.
09-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you might be over thinking this....the only difference, besides cost, is that the IIS does not have an AA filter. So if you are a photographer that thinks extra sharpness is worth an extra 100 bucks then this is your camera. If you shoot a lot of objects that excite moire then this probably is not the camera for you.

Last edited by cali92rs; 09-28-2012 at 07:08 AM.
09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would really like to see "worst case scenarios" of moire with the K-5iis

09-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would really like to see "worst case scenarios" of moire with the K-5iis
Yes, me too ... it will be interesting to see some future tests and the photo press evaluations/reviews ...
09-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I do mostly outdoors wildlife shots and particularly enjoy outdoor macro work with the 100mm macro, I find the K5IIs quite attractive. Not enough to get on the early adopter list, but hopefully this is a direction for Pentax in the future. I would consider selling my K-5 to upgrade to the K5IIs, though.
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

I would suggest it will not suit those who shoot Jpeg only.

I would love to experiment with one and the A*200mm macro. Oh, and if birds' feathering sets it off. I'm thinking it would partner my K-5 nicely.

09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
I would suggest it will not suit those who shoot Jpeg only.

I would love to experiment with one and the A*200mm macro. Oh, and if birds' feathering sets it off. I'm thinking it would partner my K-5 nicely.
Why would the IIS be worse for those that shoot jpegs than the "regular" II ?
09-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bonaprof Quote
From what I have been able to discern, the K-5 IIs is designed for a particular type of photographer in mind. Most amateurs, at any level, do not want to be bothered with yet another Adobe touch up brush. An amateur with one camera body who shoots landscapes, architecture, friends and children will likely do better with the K-5 II. Some professionals would not want to have to touch up more photos, especially those who shoot weddings, where textile patterns might glow.

So, what do you think is the type of photographers would benefit most from the K-5 IIs?

I guess, a very advanced amateur or a professional with funds to buy and strength to carry two or more bodies and shoots landscapes with wide lenses and the aperture closed down for maximum depth of field would be an ideal person for the IIs.

Can you suggest any others?

?

We have not seen anything yet suggesting that "another Adobe touch up brush" is needed.
09-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

By the way, you can do a Google search for 800E moire examples because the question of moire is also a hot topic with that camera. They had the same concerns
09-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Why would the IIS be worse for those that shoot jpegs than the "regular" II ?
Because a JPEG has a much smaller bit depth (8 bits) compared to PEF/DNG (14 bits) so moire corrections in post would not be as clean.