Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax k-5 IIs - Are sample gallery photos coming?

With the Pentax k-5 IIand k-5 IIs coming as soon as October 15th to B&H; why do we not have any sample gallery photos from Pentax? We are all waiting to see what the lack of an AA filter will look like, however Pentax has not posted any sample pictures...

For a camera to be available in just over two weeks for purchase, you think they would have sample pictures up to rev up the buyers. Like others, I am buying one of them, but I don't know if I can go out on a limb and buy the IIs. I will be using my new camera for real estate photos so the morie effect could be a deal killer and I would go with the II. Other companies have new cameras due in November and December and they have sample gallery photographs available to show off the high quality of their cameras ability.

Come on out with some pictures Pentax, show us what you got!

Racerdew

09-28-2012, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
With the Pentax k-5 IIand k-5 IIs coming as soon as October 15th to B&H; why do we not have any sample gallery photos from Pentax? We are all waiting to see what the lack of an AA filter will look like, however Pentax has not posted any sample pictures...

For a camera to be available in just over two weeks for purchase, you think they would have sample pictures up to rev up the buyers. Like others, I am buying one of them, but I don't know if I can go out on a limb and buy the IIs. I will be using my new camera for real estate photos so the morie effect could be a deal killer and I would go with the II. Other companies have new cameras due in November and December and they have sample gallery photographs available to show off the high quality of their cameras ability.

Come on out with some pictures Pentax, show us what you got!

Racerdew
You kidding, right. We, the users, are the beta testers and evaluators. This is Pentax after-all.
09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would look at the difference between the D800 and the D800e, the pixel pitch is very close to that of the K5, so sharpness and moire should be very similar.
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I will be using my new camera for real estate photos so the morie effect could be a deal killer and I would go with the II. Other companies have new cameras due in November and December and they have sample gallery photographs available to show off the high quality of their cameras ability.
Surely for Real Estate photos you'd be using them for the web, and the extra resolution from the K5iis wouldn't provide any noticeable difference? Presumably the K5iis would be of more importance to people who need maximum sharpness in their images - especially for magazine or fine print reproduction?

09-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Great respnses from everyone, Especially Ex Finn.
Ya, really, it is Pentax. Why can't they get it together and show us more? Haven't they taken any pictures with it? Regarding the real estate photos, I do need them as sharp as I can get them because so many software viewers soften the picture to make it easier to show. The sharp pictures in virtual tours sometime create shaking lines. But I want my pictures as sharp as possible because it is a reflection of my work. I am thinking I will have to get the K-5 II because I mignt get some weird morie effect with roof tops or other patterns like that. I don't want to create an editng nightmare for some clarity gain witht he IIs. Like everyone I go nuts over a super sharp picture. I have been using my K-r and a 360 flash with a Tamron 10-24 MM lense. The camera is really good for the money but I would like more dynamic range. I get some complicated lighting sometimes and I need to be able to photograph some harsh lighting with shadows. Plus I use the higher ISO sometimes so excellent ISO is requried. I can't afford other glass so I am looking for a better Pentax body.

Thanks,
Racerdew
09-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax promised us a sample (comparative) photo. I do hope they keep their word!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, like a little kid waiting for Christmas, I can't wait to see the pictures. I want one of those cameras like yesterday.

Racerdew
09-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

There was the first of the K-5 II events held today, so there are definitely some photos about.
I went to the K-7 event a few years ago and there were a lot of large photos on display.

I'm sure there will be a few photos put up on pentax.jp shortly...at least going by past events.

09-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I would look at the difference between the D800 and the D800e, the pixel pitch is very close to that of the K5, so sharpness and moire should be very similar.
Yeah, but IMHO the D800 has a weaker Bayer-AA filter than the K-5. So, the cited comparison can be misleading.

For those interested, you can find the most detailed analysis of the effect of the removal of the Bayer-AA filter in the D800E in my blog. Including computing the filter's MTF.
09-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #10

That being said, I would expect that if the K-5 IIs really did make a great deal of difference in resolution from the II then we would have seen something by now. They would have had the images plastered on the walls at Photokina and created quite a stir. Screaming, "Who needs FF when you can get this from APC". Instead they show a few secret prints to Pentax insiders and nobody else. Getting the needed," Well you could see the difference", mandatory comment. I will be amazed if the AA-less model really does outshine the AA version. I really hope to be amazed, just not expecting it.
09-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I really hope to be amazed, just not expecting it.
I think it would be more realistic to expect to be 'pleasantly surprised', rather than 'amazed'.

I can't think of any camera innovation recently that I'd say left anyone 'amazed'
10-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

As notified by astla_y_y in the 'News and Rumours' area, official Pentax sample JPG's of the K-5 II/ K-5 IIs are now posted on Pentax JP:

K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Looking good.
10-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #13

Yes, but not same scene, same lighting.
10-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
Yes, but not same scene, same lighting.
Clearly. Often not even same lens.
No doubt Imaging Resource etc will do their standard studio test shots soon.
10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only had a chance to look at image 5. K-5IIs
Certainly seams involving as a detailed landscape (good old DA*16-50). Though there are some strange white pixels over the whole frame most noticeably in the more solid colour areas of the sky top left and water bottom right. I guess firmware 1.0 doesn't have all the mapping set? Anyone else use Tv mode for handheld landscapes? At least the ripples & trees haven't generated moire