Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

K5 lock up issues

So my K5 has locked up and is not longer useable. When I turn it on, all the lights are there, but I am unable to depress the shutter. The problem begin awhile back, in which I could only get the camera to work by removing and reinserting the battery. There were suggestion on the other forum involving cleaning contacts, use of particular SD cards, etc. I tried them to no avail. When I contacted the USA Pentax service representative, he said there was no service recall on this issue. The CRIS repair center said there were at least 3 K5's that had been waiting for parts for six weeks for this issue. It has been reported that the problem is either the shutter motor, or the mirror reflex. PCMag has indicated that this problem is well known with the K5. See the first sentence in this article: http://www.pcmag.com/...ticle2/0,2817,2409929,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121
It appears to occur with cameras that have more than 50,000 shutter activations.

So I wonder: Should a camera that I paid $1400 for have this kind of problem after 18 months? Should Pentax share some responsibility here? Will the K5ii correct this issue? If not, why should I buy it given the problem I, and others have experienced.? And if it does correct the problem, shouldn't Pentax offer me a significant discount on a K5ii?

09-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All manufactured items can have problem - the price of it is irrelevant.

It's a known problem, however, but Pentax has no obligation beyond the warranty period. I have far less than 50,000 clicks, and many of the other afflicted users are well under than number, too. Thankfully pulling the battery fixes it. The mirror-flop started only a few weeks ago, after 2 years :-( No stains, though.