Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Could this be a mistake? New K5 on the way...

It started 2 weeks ago. Innocently, I wandered into a camera store on a trip to NYC. I'm not sure WHY I made the decision to buy a new K5, but I did. It'll be here in the next week. (There was some drama with the store which lead to much back & forth via email, hence the delayed timeline.)

Jeez, I really didn't plan this well. I'm now seeing issues with sensors and buttons falling off, and now even seeing the II and IIs models.

Worse, how will I break this to the K10d sitting patiently in the closet upstairs?!

Is the K5 a solid upgrade over my K10d? (I'm guessing yes just based on the advancements in technology, etc.)

My biggest area of concern is the quality of the images. I tend to shoot mostly macro with my DSLR as my Canon G12 gets the nod for travel simply due to size (and its got a sweet suite of features, to boot). That said, I'd love to start taking my K5 out when dual sport riding in the mountains here (Washington state). I used to use the K10d when covering off road events in Eastern Canada for magazines. Loved the weather resistance, as that saved me a few times.

BUT, I am mildly concerned that my new $799 K5 (yes, I worked a deal on a new-in-box, full warranty US body) won't impress...and worse, I am concerned it'll be flawed based on concerns voiced around here.

I guess time will truly tell, but by all means, please feel free to share your experiences and thoughts gang.

...and I took the time to add a new Pentax macro to the glass menagerie while I was shopping, and I really want to get playing with that puppy!

09-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If nothing else, the K-5 will have better high-ISO performance.
09-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If nothing else, the K-5 will have better high-ISO performance.
I'm hoping it'll perform better than just in that one area, 'K. I guess I'll see shortly...
09-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Are you kidding me!? The K5 is an awesome camera, and you got it for what is its most likely it best ever new price. As the new models are really more an upgrade rather than a wholesale model change I think you hit it at just the right time.
Don't worry about other things you see in regards to reliability- you are getting your camera at its most refined/corrected stage of its like cycle. The K10 makes for a pretty awesome backup.
The real question is what lead you to upgrade in the first place?

09-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You got a heck of a bargain! The K5 is lightyears better than K10 IMO. I've had mine since Feb 2012 and its been trouble free that entire time. The shutter on the K5 is surprisingly quiet which is a major plus in the work that i do. Never liked the snap of the K10 and K20. Its not altogether certain that the successors will be as good - no reviews yet.

Its a very tough camera and for the shooting you plan, i think thats a major plus - enjoy!!!
09-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you enjoyed your k-10 for so long you will absolutely love the K-5, no doubt about it !
09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
I'm hoping it'll perform better than just in that one area, 'K. I guess I'll see shortly...
its also got better low-iso performance too, the dynamic range at iso80 is just insane and an absolute pleasure to abuse

i've never shot with the k10d, but i have with the k20d and the k-5 is quite the upgrade in terms of AF performance, high speed shooting and handling as well, imo

09-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be so worried about the issues your seeing others have with their K5's. Its a brilliant camera with fantastic IQ and it will deliver in spades. If you don't feel like you should have it, I would glady take a third!

My main K5 is now coming on it's 2 year birthday and has gone through many a shutter release (broke 20,000 this weekend) and has been dropped, bashed, and crashed around. The body is still a solid 7/10 according to Pentax (just got it back from a good cleaning and screen replacement). I never once had any issues with sensor stains, buttons falling off, or anything else. My screen was replaced due to droppage, and a good drop on cement at that.

My second K5 is marked from Ricoh and feels just as much quality as the last. No issues there at all. While its barely a month young, I expect it to treat me for another 2 years.

You will love the camera.
09-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm now seeing issues with sensors and buttons falling off, and now even seeing the II and IIs models.
What issue with sensors? Sensor stain issue solved over a year ago and 100% fixed by Pentax under warranty. Button falling off, yes that does seem to still happen.
Is the K5 a solid upgrade over my K10d?
I was going to say something like "is a 747 an improvement over a Piper Cub" but that would be silly. The k10d was a fine camera in it's day and still produces great images, but the K5 is a huge improvement in many ways.
I am concerned it'll be flawed based on concerns voiced around here.
You really should not read online forums, or at least the ones you are reading. This used to be apositive, sharing, helping community. Now it seems all everyone wants to do is complain about the camera they have or about the FF one they can't have. I was a lot happier just taking pictures. If you are concerned about it buy the extended warranty, I think it is $20 and gives you another 2 years. You can get it from the same place you got the camera, even after you receive the camera.
BUT, I am mildly concerned that my new $799 K5
So you just paid $400 less than the K5II is going cost, and probably $300 - $400 less than most every other K5 owner on this forum paid for theirs. That is an incredible bargain for what is (even after 2 years) the best APS-C camera available.

Read less and take pictures, its a great camera.
09-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new K5. Most of us paid over $1000 for ours. My price was just under but after tax and shipping it was almost $1100. The new models might be a slight upgrade with some small improvements. Since nobody has seen and tested them yet, any real world difference remains to be seen. No matter what camera body you buy, another newer model is only a few months away anyhow. Digital photography is still rapidly evolving. The latest and greatest will hold the title for about a month until the next big thing comes along.
09-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In January I upgraded from a K20 (after 3 years). It did also cross my mind - if it was a real upgrade. The same thing occurred when I upgraded from the K100 to the K20 after 4 years. I think that (at least for me) its somewhat of a normal occurrence.

The camera is great, and it's a real worth wild upgrade. The lower ISO along with the increased dynamic range, in addition to the reduced physical size, and the reduction in noise - were the key items for me. I have also come to use the LiveView when up on the tripod - a lot. It is so much more convenient, than trying to stoop down and try to look through the viewfinder. That, in and of itself has opened up a new avenue of shooting - i.e., getting down much closer to the ground.

In your case the only downside I can think of is the K10's CCD sensor. For that reason I have kept my K100 as a "backup" (and sold off the K20 to a lady so she could "shoot" her teacup collection).

I will say that about 6 months before I upgraded to the K20 I went out on a Navy ship for a couple of weeks, thinking - if only I had a K20, I could take even better images. After moving to the K20, I was reviewing images on a new 60 inch flat panel TV. I was amazed with the K20, but what was so stunning to me, was the K100's image quality. That 6MP sensor is really really very good. I think I somewhat understand your train of thought. So far, each upgrade has provided value, excellent learning and yes a commensurate upgrade in images.

Also, that is a great price. Some very kind sole here posted about a sale at Samy's camera in January. I just happened to see it, surfed over to their page while eating breakfast, then immediately called and ordered the camera. enjoy....

Worse, how will I break this to the K10d sitting patiently in the closet upstairs?!
Your K10 will enjoy its quite retirement.

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-01-2012 at 01:47 AM.
09-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeez, I really didn't plan this well. I'm now seeing issues with sensors and buttons falling off, and now even seeing the II and IIs models.
The ones you see do not seem to be indicative of the majority of users that had no issues. The II and IIs will not come near the price you paid for at least another year, maybe even 2.

QuoteQuote:
Give it a positive twist, like "thanks for the love buddy, I'll now allow you to enjoy freedom and rest." and put it on a shelf or in glass case.

QuoteQuote:
Is the K5 a solid upgrade over my K10d? (I'm guessing yes just based on the advancements in technology, etc.)
I upgraded from a K20D and the answer is a big YES! It's absolutely a stellar difference. I thought I'd miss my K20D (daughter-dear impounded it) but I won't touch it now.

QuoteQuote:
My biggest area of concern is the quality of the images....

I guess time will truly tell, but by all means, please feel free to share your experiences and thoughts gang.

...and I took the time to add a new Pentax macro to the glass menagerie while I was shopping, and I really want to get playing with that puppy!
Your concerns are unnecessary...you'll absolutely enjoy the K-5. And, although the G12 is quite capable as well (wife owns a G11 and I'm an ex-G5/Pro1 shooter) there really is no way to compare the two and do both of them justice.

I've had my K-5 for almost a year and have experienced no buttons falling off, no AF issues and no bounce-flash problems. What I have enjoyed is having the freedom to allow auto-ISO without fears of noise and banding, right up to ISO3200 with the occasional shots fired at ISO6400 and 12800!
10-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid more than $1100 for my K-5 and felt good at that price. The K-5 is a huge bump over the K10. I had a couple lock-ups in the first few months, and attribute that to the battery voltage issue. Nothing since, and no other issues. It's rugged, too!
10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #14

Original Poster
OK, now immediately I have to say thanks and point out something here...

A post above mentioned the complaining and whining that happens here - to that I say...meh. That happens everywhere. No one takes to the airwaves to "vent their pleasure"...well, I do, but I'm weird like that. And if you knew what I did for a living, you'd have some insight into why I'm so backwards to most trends online.

...but what was said that rings true is "read less; shoot more". Truer words were never spoken.

I travel a ton. No, make that a metric crap ton! It'd be nice to upgrade over my G12, and with my new courier bag (Opsrey Flapjack - amazing), I suspect I'll be packing the K5 for upcoming trips to Vegas and North Carolina.

I'd like to start food blogging (I'm a foodie) and with that travel, I tend to hit some pretty cool spots (NOLA in New Orleans 3 weeks ago, Bar Americain, The Little Owl, Olives and my personal fave, The Aastro Diner, all in NYC 2 weeks ago, etc.), so blogging my thoughts with the requisite "food-pron" pictures seems a natural. The new macro might be handy for that.

I ordered a Lightscoop to use and bounce the built in flash around. That'll be fun to play with...though I'm bound to get weird looks at restaurants...which is where the high ISO performance will come in handy. The G12 is OK, but still limited in many cases.

I do want to say thanks, though, gang. Its easy to get sidetracked by nay-saying online. I *know* better than to fall into the trap (I run a community online), but when its your money, sometimes your imagination runs away...
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I got my K-5 around April knowing that they will be coming out with the K-5s successor, but I really don't care!. I was upgrading my camera near its perfection niche, ya there have been issues with this particular model, but then again which models DON'T have any issues?
I bought this camera to take the place of my K-x, but my K-x has earned a crucial spot in my camera gear, this little camera never ceases to amaze me, however the K-5 has filled in a usability niche, in other words I mainly bought the K-5 for all the automations that make my image capturing a lot easier and smoother, I could give a rats rear end about things like megapixels, FF, rear LCD screens, removal of AA filter, etc... this camera is just perfect, I really couldn't ask for more, I am totally satisfied with it, and I know you will really be satisfied with the K-5 as well. Don't waste your time worrying about what is coming out next and how much better it could be than the one you got, because you could be so busy doing that that you will not be concentrating what you love doing the most and that is photography and taking images.
If I read into all these threads in here and bought into all of them then I probably be shooting with a Nikon d800e or something to that nature, and then within a few months when the next "greatest" thing comes out then I would be feeling inadequate about THAT d800e. Believe me, it is a huge wast of time, energy, and money to be chasing the next "Big thing"
Just get out there and shoot!