Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

K-5 or K-5 II?

Hello I'm new in the forum and need some advice from people who have experience with Pentax K-5.
If some one here could give me a help I would appreciate it very much! Thanks.

So, I'm about to buy a new camera and its either going to be a K-5 or a K-5 II.
I have seen some reviews of the K-5 II, and it doesn't seem to be a bad choice however as a "new" model it might show new problems.
As for the k-5 it has already been thoroughly tested and proven its eficiency, but is not the latest model anymore, and since I´m about to buy a new camera shouldn't I go for the latest?

10-01-2012, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hello...
my choice will be K-5 IIs! because that version haven't low-pass filter- yes, you can have moaré issue, but quality of photos will be more acurate. with 50/1,4 it must have perfect result )

...next: some upgrades... later version will be better choice
10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, yes that's true, seems like the IIs might have a better image quality but I usually shoot outdoors and the II might be a better choice since I won't be in a controlled environment as a studio. At least that's what I could tell by serching the web. That's why my main doubt was between the k-5 and the k-5 II. And the price on the k-5 is very good now, which is very appealing...
10-01-2012, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jhosse Quote
Hi, yes that's true, seems like the IIs might have a better image quality but I usually shoot outdoors and the II might be a better choice since I won't be in a controlled environment as a studio. At least that's what I could tell by serching the web. That's why my main doubt was between the k-5 and the k-5 II. And the price on the k-5 is very good now, which is very appealing...
The price diff is going to be almost $600 so ask yourself what's going to give you more IQ: the new camera or $600 towards an excellent lens? Is any of the specific improvements on the K-5 II essential to you? Do you shoot raw or jpeg (sensors remaining the same, I do not actually expect huge differences between the raws), is the fast and supposedly improved SAFOX focus system important to you.

If you are looking for the most oomph for the dollar, get the K-5 - if the K-5 II has something you think you'll need, go for it!

10-01-2012, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to say as at least I haven't seen any example photos yet from the K5II/s. I can't imagine there being many first adopter issues as it's basically a modified K5, not a brand new camera.

I'd probably recommend the K5II/s route if you think you might be needing the best AF possible and will be shooting in difficult lighting conditions. However, Adam (the forum administrator) reported that the K5II he tested at Photokina was surprisingly good in IQ as well.

The K5 is a great value and savings can be passed on to buying glass--the real long term investment.

Maybe wait until the user reports & test photos come out and hope there are still K5 classics to be had if it doesn't look like its worth it?
10-01-2012, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Apparently the only change between the K5 and the K5-II is the autofocus module; so the K5ii is not really a "new" camera and there should be very little problems. One of the known issues of the K5 is the AF in low light (trend to front focus); I have not really encountered this issue but in some way Pentax acknowledge it by replacing the AF module in the K5-II. K5 is certainly a good choice as it will come at a bargain price.
10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
But the price difference isn't actually so big, for example at BH there is a k-5 II with an SMC DA 18-135 AL WR lens kit for $1549,00 the same lens with k-5 $1405,95 (not in a bundle/kit), a difference of only $143,05... Course I could go with a simpler glass for starters but as Newmikey said I tried to put in a better glass.

And I don't really know if the new features will really be necessary to me but the ideia of buying something that's about to get out of the shelve, bother's me a little.
10-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
There is another data that I should have said before. I live in Brazil and if the camera presents malfunction it won't be easy to exchange the camera or either get it fixed. Is this a concern that I should have or can I trust on the Pentax quality?

10-01-2012, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
The price diff is going to be almost $600 so ask yourself what's going to give you more IQ: the new camera or $600 towards an excellent lens?
I think each will be worth about what you'll pay for it. The K-5 may be a slightly better value now, but the K-5 II may be a better value in a few months. The new prices only differ by about $320 right now (at B&H).

But if you don't have much money to spend on lenses, then even consider the K-30 if it will meet your needs. The latest prices through Amazon (last week, third party seller) were below $640. The bodies will depreciate rapidly - the lenses (especially if bought used) will not. I didn't upgrade from K-x to K-5 (it was a new model then) until I'd spent many times the price of a body on lenses. And I think it's only recently that I've started to realize the benefit of that upgrade, whereas the lenses gave me an immediate benefit.

FWIW, I have a K-5 IIs on order, but it's a bit of a gamble. I won't know if the s version fits my needs until after I try it. Sometimes, for large events, I shoot only JPEG, so the quality of those may be the deciding factor for me once I try it out. If you look at the D800 vs D800E on dpreview, you'll see that even JPEGs benefited from the E model. You can wait for the reviews to come out, or take a calculated risk. I don't think you'll go wrong with the K-5 II (provided you can still afford a few good lenses soon), but the IIs may be even better.

Last edited by DSims; 10-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I have not really encountered this issue but in some way Pentax acknowledge it by replacing the AF module in the K5-II.
I think I encountered this problem last night at the county fair - I was shooting my 85/1.4 wide open at 1/640s (action/acrobatics), ISO 2500-5000, and having AF problems. But most of the time it's relatively decent - I just think it could be better.
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

There is another data that I should have said before. I live in Brazil and if the camera presents malfunction it won't be easy to exchange the camera or either get it fixed. Is this a concern that I should have or can I trust on the Pentax quality?
I think you're relatively safe with all the current models - they're using proven technology at this point. From what I've heard, I'd worry more about Nikon (or maybe even Sony), and while Canon has a good reliability reputation, their cheaper models don't seem to be as solidly built. My brother had an entry-level Canon DSLR (admittedly a few years old) that he took on vacation to Florida during the storms in August. He dropped it in a puddle of water and it completely ruined it. Pentaxes break too, but I can't imagine even my older, cheaper K200D failing in that situation.
10-01-2012, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're a casual user, the old k5 will likely suffice. Unless you do a lot of low light event shooting or shoot in extreme outdoor conditions, you won't notice a difference between the two bodies.

Now, if you take the k5 IIs into consideration, its improved resolution will feel like a much bigger upgrade, and the better af will of course also be nice to have.
10-01-2012, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Hi, yes that's true, seems like the IIs might have a better image quality but I usually shoot outdoors and the II might be a better choice since I won't be in a controlled environment as a studio.
I had no Idea the k-5 IIs is a dedicated studio Camera...
10-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well I don't know if it's studio dedicated, as I said my impressions were over info I found on the Internet, can't remember where I read about it. Because I've seen a lot of reviews and articles already
But thanks to the replys here I'm now more comfortable on buying Pentax even living here in Brazil.
Also I am a casual user, so probably I'll take the K-5 which will be more than enough for me.

Thanks for everyone who answered in this topic, you have really helped me a lot!
When I get the camera get here, which might take a while, I'll post some pictures (the good ones only lol) for your opinions!
10-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
"When I get the camera get here" read "When I get the camera,..."