Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I may be presumptive - all APSC cameras will be tricky to focus manually. The Catch-in-Focus feature makes this much easier, and of course you can add a split-screen focus screen. I did that with my K-10 and it works well. The viewfinder is simply smaller, making manual less easy. you'll find plenty of people here producing stunning results with old manual glass - much of which provides outstanding color response!

If it means anything, I think Pentax takes manual-focus much more seriously than any other brand. Hence, you have shake reduction in-body and support for all K-mount lenses. I'm sure you found this during your own research.

When it was time for me to move into DSLR I went into Pentax for those same reasons, and I had NO legacy with Pentax. My wife has an unworking Minolta X-700 with standard kit lenses and my Father has a manual Minolta (X-7?) with some very nice glass. I wanted the easy manual control with well-placed controls and two wheels.

I got the 18-135 which isn't the old motor system. It's my only motorized lens. I hear Sigma's motor system is quite nice. I did buy a used Sigma 28mm f1.8 Macro, which I really liked when I rented.

You know the advice here can be biased but I find a lot of honest responses too. I'd find it hard to resist the K-5 IIs if it were my decision, as I do a lot of 100mm macro use. I'd also find it difficult to make that decision when compared with gently-used K-5s on the market for half the price....

Oh, as for the freezing issue. I think mine froze 5 times, all in the first few months of ownership. IIRC it is a battery overcharging issue.

10-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #17

I have a new question about the K-5 II. Often in bright sunlight I am unable to see the "shutter speed, f-stop, leveling lines, anti-shake, and ISO speed" indicator in the viewfinder, at the bottom of a horizontal photo.

I have gone through the manual and don't find any references to ways to brighten this viewfinder display. Is there a way to increase the brightness of this data so it can be better seen in bright sunlight?

Thank you!
10-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can memorize the exposure with the memory lock button and put the hand before the lens...
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You can memorize the exposure with the memory lock button and put the hand before the lens...
Thanks fs999 but what I'm most concerned about is the image leveler which I have activated. For some reason as you get older it's more difficult to get a dead level photo. I need to see this in real time, as I'm taking the photo. Maybe a Pentax techie has an answer. ??? Thanks again.

10-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
I have gone through the manual and don't find any references to ways to brighten this viewfinder display. Is there a way to increase the brightness of this data so it can be better seen in bright sunlight?
Not that I'm aware of. I just use the bottom or top of the frame for leveling and correct any slight deviation in PP. It must be really bright where you are at, I've never had a problem seeing the data in viewfinder. LCD is a different story of course. Do you wear glasses? Maybe you are not getting a good fit between your eye and the viewfinder?
10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not that I'm aware of. I just use the bottom or top of the frame for leveling and correct any slight deviation in PP. It must be really bright where you are at, I've never had a problem seeing the data in viewfinder. LCD is a different story of course. Do you wear glasses? Maybe you are not getting a good fit between your eye and the viewfinder?
Thanks jatrax. Yes, I do wear glasses and that's probably the problem. A rubber eye cup might come in handy. For some reason, using the upper/lower part of the image doesn't seem to work for me. This isn't really a major problem that happens all the time. It isn't that bright here at latitude 42 degrees north. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks again.
10-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
As far as I know, there is no way to adjust the brightness level of the viewfinder readout. I can sympathize with not being able to see the level indicator in very bright conditions, as I have a tendency to tilt the camera inadvertently. Pentax does offer a focusing screen that is basically a "rule of thirds" grid (model # ML-60) which I have purchased and installed in my iis that is helpful for me, not only with keeping the camera straight but also with composition.
10-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StrasburgBarry Quote
It isn't that bright here at latitude 42 degrees north.
I didn't think so I used to live in Pittsburgh.

I wear glasses but my prescription allows me to set the diopter on the camera for my eye without glasses. So when shooting I take the glasses off and just use the camera viewfinder. Not everyone can do that of course. They make a number of different eyecups that are larger and work better with glasses. I used a large curved one for a while until I just went without the glasses.

But in general glasses and viewfinders don't mix well.