Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

K5II and K5IIs samples

Just saw these on a certain dp site forum K-5II / K-5IIs?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I see little evidence of moire in the supposed K-5IIs images.
10-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pictures are awesome! I can't see a real big difference between the two cameras. I think the shot of hte goat really shows off the fine detail on the 2s. However those mountain shots, especiallly the one with the lake below with the 2 are amazingly sharp. Wow, great pictures taken with some great glass.

Sign me up, I'm gettin one!

Racerdew
10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An astute observer in the "other" forum noticed moiré in the gray building rooftops on the left side of the pic of the hotel.
Won't make me cancel my order.

10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
An astute observer in the "other" forum noticed moiré in the gray building rooftops on the left side of the pic of the hotel.
Won't make me cancel my order.
I can only see it at original size, and successfully processed it out in LR4

Also had a play to see how excessive a sharpening can be applied to the jpeg. Don't think I've quite reached false detail.

10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Possibly the same astute observer over there also usefully remarked:

QuoteQuote:
Moiré is the result of two overlapping grid patterns. The subject's grid pattern is the roof shingles, which may produce moiré when superimposed on the sensor's grid pattern. Similarily, the end image pattern also interacts with the grid pattern of your monitor ... Changing the relationship between the two grid patterns (subject to sensor, images to monitor grid), also changes how they interact with each other, hence creating or not a visible moiré pattern. Hence rotating the camera or the image, changing FL or distance to subject all have an impact on the way the grid patterns interact with each others. Moiré resulting from your monitor grid will not show on a print for instance, while moiré resulting from the sensor will. The tough part when assessing moiré is the determination of it's origin i.e. the original image or the rendering of that image on a given monitor at a given magnification.
Also makes me wonder what impact adding another pattern into the mix when doing landscapes (in the form of a circular polarizing filter, for example) may have on scene elements like the roof shingles.