Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Another "clunk" noise topic... K5 vs K20D ?

Hi guys !

I've received a K5 today, which was horribly packed, basically, the body was dumped in a box with 3 tiny pieces of foam... perhaps that made me more attentive as after 30seconds in hands I could feel something was moving inside...

Before you all go "yeah that's the clunk noise", I know there's been many subjects on the matter... think I've been reading all of them... I've also been the owner of a K20D for 3 years so I know this mechanism and the "movement" feel, it never seemed "too much". But here, it just moves wayyy more. I really wonder as I've been reading people didn't realize it after a year of use. If that could be conceivable with my current K20D, there's no way you wouldn't notice it with the K5 I have in hands. As soon as you move it slightly you can feel it's moving inside.

I tried to convince myself this is normal and am being paranoid, but I'd really love some confirmation guys : did anyone had a K20D before owning a K5 ? Did this "sliding part" felt the same in both ?

Thanks for the heads up !

10-03-2012, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
all i can say is my K5 sounds a little different than my K10 but i have not tried them both, at the same time with no lens on either.

try some photos, if it works dont worry.

after all, if pentax wanted you to stick your ear to the camera they would have provided an earpiece not a viewfinder
10-03-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As the sensor is on fixed stanchions unless it really bust theres nothing wrong.

i.e if when you switch on it stands to attention locks in postion and function normally the the sensors is correctly mounted.

If the knocking is not present switched on then the sound is form the sensor but is normal.

If you still have knocking switched on then somthign is loose in the camera.
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for your answers

@Lowell: Pictures seem alright as far as I could try ! Better to know now than feel sorry
@awaldram: I don't really understand that part: "when you switch on it stands to attention locks in postion" ? The knocking is present either on or off as on the K20D. It seems to go away in LV mode or when mirror is up, whether or not SR is active.

10-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Anyone else owned a K20D who could give me a hint ? Really don't know if I should keep this one :/
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have the K10,K20 and the K5. I almost forgot all about the K10, but the K20, switched on or not, makes a 'clunky' noise when handled, that's the sensor's SR system.
The K5 is, compared to the K20, a silent camera, no "clunk" when handled, but there is something like a little ticking sound, caused too by the sensor's SR system which is deferent now, that can be heard in a 'gentle environment'....
An other reason for that clunky noise can be the lens, so can this clunk be heard with a 'naked' body?

Is this K5 a new one? You are talking about a lousy packing, normally Pentax packs its stuff the right way, thus well protected, in a rather small but nicely designed shiny silver on black coloured box.

Oh yes, one of the main 'items' of the digital tsunami is, among others, paranoia...
10-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for your answer philippe ! It doesn't comfort me though, as in my case, I can barely feel the move inside the K20D, and it feels 3 to 4 times more important with the K5. It's the same kind, but it feels like there's way more "latitude" in the K5. This is with naked body yes. I wouldn't worry if it had been packed with the pentax original box, but it's 2nd hand and the body was really dumped in a small package...
10-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axaz Quote
thanks for your answer philippe ! It doesn't comfort me though, as in my case, i can barely feel the move inside the k20d, and it feels 3 to 4 times more important with the k5. It's the same kind, but it feels like there's way more "latitude" in the k5. This is with naked body yes. I wouldn't worry if it had been packed with the pentax original box, but it's 2nd hand and the body was really dumped in a small package...
send it back and try to get you money returned, this is suspicious!

10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-5 is way different from the K20D.
Much more movement, and will definitely feels as though something is broken to someone who doesn't know better.
10-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

More and more, after strolling around on this forum, I have the feeling that there can be major differences between K-5 bodies, almost none are alike...
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Put the SR mechanism to work by mounting a longish lens (maybe 100mm, or if you don't have that then the longest you have) and activating Live View.

While Live View is on you'll be able to hear it whirring and moving the sensor around, and you'll see the effects of stabilization on the screen.

If that works, and you don't get any camera errors or weird bouncing images, then I'd say the camera is most likely fine.
10-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do some test shots with the SR on and with the SR off.