Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got a Pentax K-5

I just bought a Pentax K-5 and I'm absolutely in love with it.
The silent shutter compared to my old K-x is just amazing. The images are incredibly sharp and awesome. The body just feels amazing in my hands and I am extremely happy about my new purchase. The AF seems to work very well too. I think this camera will serve me well. Just wanted to check in with all of you.

10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the club! I have very fond memories of my k-x, and sometimes regret its loss. That 12Mpix sensor was mighty good - but now you know just a few of the things that make the K-5 a superior camera. Plenty more to learn that's for sure!
10-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lost.echo Quote
I just bought a Pentax K-5 and I'm absolutely in love with it.
Congrats to you and I'm glad to hear that. As you get a chance, please do share some more of your experiences with it, or maybe provide a review. The K-5 has held up well, from a competitive standpoint, and I'm considering getting one for myself as a "destination" camera - something that I will expect to keep and use a tremendous amount for 5+ years.
10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Go on. Get out there in the dim light and shoot some pics around ISO 3200 and then you really gonna love it.
Maybe try 6400 - don't be afraid.
:-)

10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uptheriver Quote
Go on. Get out there in the dim light and shoot some pics around ISO 3200 and then you really gonna love it.
Ahah I sure will! I'm so excited now!
10-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K-x remains a good companion/backup body to my K-5.

In the high-ISO and IQ department, the K-5 does edge out the K-x, but not by any massive margin, to be honest. The big difference to me with the K-5 is the more solid body, the quiet shutter, the WR, the front and rear dials (and TAv!), and the option for a battery grip. The AF is also improved over the K-x too, as you noticed.
10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #7

just take a look at the high iso thread...
it'll blow your mind !!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-high-...t-here-86.html

6400 is definitely not the limit ;-)
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My K-x remains a good companion/backup body to my K-5.

In the high-ISO and IQ department, the K-5 does edge out the K-x, but not by any massive margin, to be honest. The big difference to me with the K-5 is the more solid body, the quiet shutter, the WR, the front and rear dials (and TAv!), and the option for a battery grip. The AF is also improved over the K-x too, as you noticed.
What he said

10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Get out there in the dim light and shoot some pics around ISO 3200 and then you really gonna love it.
K5 actually seems to shine at 3200!
I've been using it and my FA34 f2 @ f4(ish) in restaurants (no flash) recently and been getting stunning results...
Was out for a curry the other night with a bunch of photographers (all CaNikon users) and none could get the shots my K5 was hitting at 3200 & 1/80 of a second!!
10-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congratulations ! I have used the K5 for weddings and got good results even down to 6400 ISO in RAW. Be aware the focus sensors are very large though. The one in the middle reaches out all the way to the semi circle markings for the spot metering. So it can be used as your focus point quite accurately. As long as you keep that in mind it will serve you well indeed.
10-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

Original Poster

OMG... the low iso is amazing, I am quite amazed.
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Just received a second body with just over 700 actuations. I'm almost done.
10-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As someone afflicted with LBA, it is a huge pain to swap around lenses since I have to go into the debug menu each time and change the fine focus adjustment on my K-x individually for each lens. I've got a little notepad with all my adjustments needed for each lens. One day I'll get the K-5...maybe the iiS once it hits the used market.
10-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
As someone afflicted with LBA, it is a huge pain to swap around lenses since I have to go into the debug menu each time and change the fine focus adjustment on my K-x individually for each lens. I've got a little notepad with all my adjustments needed for each lens. One day I'll get the K-5...maybe the iiS once it hits the used market.
Seems like a long wait for the IIs
10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm also guilty of being madly in love with my K-5. It's my first DSLR, but it's amazing what this camera does, even with vintage lenses. I own one recently lens, the 18-55 WR kit lens, but all my other Pentax lenses play just fine. My F 50/1.7 rarely leaves the body and the A 50/1.4 I briefly considered selling is a dream for video with the manual focus.