Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #16

Thank you for your information, D600 is a nice camera but now i look forward to Pentax FF which i think it is not too long

10-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKIT Quote
Thank you for your information, D600 is a nice camera but now i look forward to Pentax FF which i think it is not too long
Well just please do not hold your breadth lol
10-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

D800/D600 shutter too loud...crikey you have never shot with a D700 then...that shutter sounds really loud..but it makes up for it in beautiful images that are in focus..so Ill look past the loud shutter...
10-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I quite like the loud shutter on my D700, I use it to my advantage, for example the other week I was doing a portrait shoot of a few young kids and they were looking everywhere except me, so I had an idea- I put my camera in high drive mode and just held the trigger. Sounded like a machine gun going off at 8FPS
sure enough it soon grabbed their attention and I nailed the shot

10-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #20
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I quite like the loud shutter on my D700, I use it to my advantage, for example the other week I was doing a portrait shoot of a few young kids and they were looking everywhere except me, so I had an idea- I put my camera in high drive mode and just held the trigger. Sounded like a machine gun going off at 8FPS
sure enough it soon grabbed their attention and I nailed the shot
Lol. Good use of the loud shutter there. Though I still prefer soft shutters.
10-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My shutter is so quite in the D300 i never even hear it trip !!!!! The mirror drowns all the noise lol
10-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My D800E shutter sounds like someone slamming a garden gate shut and my K-5 sounds like a limo door kissing the car. The Nikon scares the hell out of wildlife at close range whereas they don't notice (or care) if I'm using my K-5.
Funny, I seem to remember Pentaxians getting dirty looks from the Canikon folks when out shooting wildlife due to the noise of the Pentax focusing the lenses with the screw drive. I guess turn about is fair play.

I agree that Nikon has horrible shutter sounds, especially compared to the K7 and K5 which are about the best I've ever heard on a dslr.

10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Funny, I seem to remember Pentaxians getting dirty looks from the Canikon folks when out shooting wildlife due to the noise of the Pentax focusing the lenses with the screw drive. I guess turn about is fair play.

I agree that Nikon has horrible shutter sounds, especially compared to the K7 and K5 which are about the best I've ever heard on a dslr.

The D600 shutter is quiter than the D800 and D700, and louder than the K-5. The D600 quiet shutter setting is actually fairly quiet, unlike the D800.

I will say though, the D600 shutter "sound" is the worst of them all. It just sounds cheesy. I do not choose cameras because of this, but I definitely notice!
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The K5 is loud compared to other cameras. So is that the criteria these days for selecting a camera and not the font used for the logo? On one had that says cameras are delivering such good quality these days that we now are focusing our attention on the little things instead of things like speed of focus and image IQ.
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The K5 is loud compared to other cameras. So is that the criteria these days for selecting a camera and not the font used for the logo? On one had that says cameras are delivering such good quality these days that we now are focusing our attention on the little things instead of things like speed of focus and image IQ.
I don't choose based on this, and I doubt most do, but a nice sounding shutter is a nice vs one that is loud or sounds like like something breaking.

Those that shoot in noise conscious environments would likely consider the shutter sound with more importance than someone shooting auto racing assuming the camera was up to the task in other areas.
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually the Canon 5d III is the quietest shutter we have heard(5dII is pretty close too), but we hate the noisy shadows and narrower DR of the Canons, and we still remember the lousy AF of the 5d II with it's 1.x firmware. The canons lenses are nice if you can live with the 6 and 8 bladed diaphragm many of them still have(we can't). Honestly, the Pentax K5 has the best balance of shutter sound and features for us, and the II(s) should fix what we need for low light focussing, and if we can live with the foibles of no AA filter, that should be a great sensor. BTW, with the limited time we used the Nikon D600, it seemed to have a heavy AA filter, heaver than the D3X had. Ymmv as usual.

David
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi David&Karen,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have to agree, shutter sound was the main reason that I continue using the K5. I compared it to the new Leica M, as well as an IQ180 that was on loan in the studio, and also a buddy's Red One. Though some were quieter than the K5, they were all so expensive! Also, I didn't like the midtone and bass of the shutter in the Rodenstock (the IQ180 was on an Alpa): it sounded kind of like "kchk" instead of the beautiful "ktchkk" in the K5. The new M sounded nice, but I don't use items with brand names that start with L. And the Red One's fan noise was the deal breaker. Like most serious photographers, I have a good mic and spectrum analyzer. I mean, how can you call yourself a real photographer if you don't know what harmonics your shutter is putting out? Right?

All in all, K5 is the best camera, and I wouldn't think of using any other crappy sounding camera. Pentax 4 life!