Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible new firmware coming ?

When Fuji developed the Fuji X E1 it easily outperformed the Xpro 1. Except fuji used the new alterations to fix the Xpro 1s problems simply by downloading the new firmware developed for the X E1. Now I see very much the same thing in the Pentax camp with the K5 and K5 2 !
With luck, Pentax will take a leaf from the Fuji camp and maybe see a good update in the firmware for the K5. Fingers crossed

10-05-2012, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think Pentax is going to do that.
They should open the firmware for developers...it would be amazing
10-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
...and then we'd start finding viruses in our cameras!
10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
...and then we'd start finding viruses in our cameras!
:P Just don't install a modified firmware then :P
But it would be pretty bizarre to get a virus...imagine the camera mirror flopping and doing crazy things?? I would get desperate

10-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Westmill: I wondered the same thing especially if you consider Ricoh's amazing continued support for older GRD models thru firmware updates. I am hoping we see that start to happen for K5 users. That being said I don't have a specific wish list, though I am sure others do.
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
I was just thinking this earlier. Pentax could differentiate themselves by making the platform open.

First think I'd do is integrate the stop down metering, i.e., a menu setting that allows the stop-down metering to automatically fire when an M- or K- mount lens is installed.

Or maybe enable full-time focus peaking during video.
10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

How about a firmware ability to fine tune the horizon level feature, if its not precisely on spec.? Actions like firmware updates are more likely to keep a photographer with a make of camera than the indifference displayed too often, previous to photokina.

10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #8

By upgrading the K5, the difference between the K5 and the K5II is minimised. To get sales they need to maximise the difference. Perhaps when the mythical K3 is released they might. (sorry had to throw in FF!!)
10-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
One of the things i really like abt the CHDK firmware for Canon P&S cams is that it lets you specify how the auto ISO should work. i wish Pentax would do something like that, more than just setting a max value for ISO. i shoot enough in indoor low light situations that it'd be a boon. Taverns, cafes, pubs, restos, night time indoor and outdoor fairs, big variations in light in all those places and i end up having to shoot full manual to handle the range of lighting conditions, it slows me down enough i miss a lot of shots or get the shutter speed or ISO wrong.
10-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #10

More options to program the "customizable" buttons would be nice. i.e. DOF preview for something else other than the powerswitch.
10-06-2012, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Action Jackson Quote
More options to program the "customizable" buttons would be nice. i.e. DOF preview for something else other than the powerswitch.
Just don't assign it to the lens release button.
10-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would be happy enough if they just sorted it so it didnt miss focus under tungsten light and fix the flash exposure issue. I see these as being genuine camera faults more than basic poor performance. LOL Bossa I know what you mean lol
10-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Westmill: I wondered the same thing especially if you consider Ricoh's amazing continued support for older GRD models thru firmware updates. I am hoping we see that start to happen for K5 users. That being said I don't have a specific wish list, though I am sure others do.
Well I can not see any reason why Pentaxians who spent all there hard earned cash could or should not benafit from the new firmware. Fuji did it very quickly indeed for the X pro 1 because they care about there customers. Its going be interesting indeed over the coming weeks.
10-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ya, open the firmware.... this would really differentiate Pentax.
like Canon has the Magic Lantern through SD card, it will open up amazing "apps" for Pentax.
10-06-2012, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
By upgrading the K5, the difference between the K5 and the K5II is minimised. To get sales they need to maximise the difference. Perhaps when the mythical K3 is released they might. (sorry had to throw in FF!!)
That may not be true; it may draw more people to Pentax. As in, "i want to buy a camera from a company that cares about its customers". A lot of companies advertise that they care about their company, but talk is cheap, show some actions that actually demonstrate it.

I suspect that folks with more money to spend will still buy the latest camera, while those lower budgets may want to join a customer base that benefits from a company that really cares.

Pentax, with their various issues over the last few years, could benefit enormously by a spruce up of their image. And word of mouth is some of the best advertising one can get.