Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Search for 'lilliput field monitor' on Google, eBay or Amazon. No need to pay anywhere near $700.
I came up with this one on Amazon - choose this certain one since it includes the battery and charger plus hot shoe mount. This is the HDMI version which I am assuming I would need?

Amazon.com: Lilliput 665gl-70np/ho/y 7" On-camera Hd LCD Field Monitor w/ Hdmi in Hdmi Out Component in Video in Video Out +1/4" HOT Shoe Mount+ Du21 Battery and Charger By Koolertron: Video Games

10-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I came up with this one on Amazon - choose this certain one since it includes the battery and charger plus hot shoe mount. This is the HDMI version which I am assuming I would need?

Amazon.com: Lilliput 665gl-70np/ho/y 7" On-camera Hd LCD Field Monitor w/ Hdmi in Hdmi Out Component in Video in Video Out +1/4" HOT Shoe Mount+ Du21 Battery and Charger By Koolertron: Video Games
That looks like a pretty good deal. I use one of the cheaper, non HD, 7" Marshall`s at work, gets the job done.
edit: these guys are not cheap.
Marshall Electronics Broadcast Multimedia Division - Choose Professional and Prosumer LCD Monitors by Options

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
10-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is the HDMI version which I am assuming I would need?
Looks about right. Pages 258-259 of the K-5 manual should be your guide.
Others here have used Lilliputs so they seem fine.
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looks about right. Pages 258-259 of the K-5 manual should be your guide.
Others here have used Lilliputs so they seem fine.
Thanks for the confirmation - I have it in my cart - now just to pull the bucks together to get it.

This is something that I've wanted for quite a while. The thought of changing brands even came to mind just to get an articulated screen......

10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The thought of changing brands even came to mind just to get an articulated screen......
None of those 'other brands' are going to have built-in 7-inch articulated screens though .

I think for a lot of shooting scenarios a bigger screen via an external monitor is simply going to be more useful than a 3-inch display anyhow, articulated or not. I guess that's why some expensive 'pro' FF bodies with strong video capabilities don't have articulated screens either.
10-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just use one of those cheap screen-capturing devices. The ones that you can use to capture video from VHS recorder for example.

From the USB port from the camera it goes to this little USB video-capture stick, which is plugged in the USB port of my laptop. Then use the supplied capturing program, or any other capturing program that allows full screen preview.

It's not as crystal clear as HDMI, but works well. I used it for focus stacking, peering at the LV screen for ~200 images in a row hurts the eyes.
10-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... So, what exactly would be involved in your plan: PKTether, cables, settting it up, etc ... to make this work ?
If you give me precise instructions, maybe I could give it a try, as long as it doesn't mess up my K5 internals (software/firmware).

To the OP: sorry to barge in like that but I think your thread is worth looking into. I am not sure if the OP needs "Live View streaming" though. I don't.
Sorry about not getting back sooner. Thinking out loud now.....
  • Connect the K5's HDMI port to the tablet's HDMI port and use the monitor mode to view the camera's rear screen video feed.
  • Connect the K5's USB port to the tablet's USB and possibly run PKtether for camera control if possible.
  • I doubt that you will be able to run both at the same time - not that familiar with the various tablets, but if you can find a tablet to run PKtether, you might be able to toggle between the two....
... anyway, those are my thoughts...

OP - I too am sorry about hijacking your thread... It was not my intention...