Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Live View on laptop

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone give me tips on how to shoot with live view through my laptop or to the relevent thread as i'm thinking of trying this out.

10-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search for keyword pktether.
10-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that crewl1 I'm just going to look at this now and will let you know how I get on.
10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tried it yet but hear good things. Good luck.

10-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just tried this pktether, It is good for showing shots after they are taken but will not show live view. I tried a google search for more information after my view screen started to blink and I found out that it should not be used in Live View mode as it will most likley cause the camera to freeze. so it looks like i'll just need to keep looking.
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't expect you to have any luck on this. The processed sensor data would have to be transformed in real time in a suitable streaming format to be sent through USB. The Pentax firmware may contain some of the needed procedures for live view, but there you never need the full resolution. I do not think any external program could upgrade the Pentax system to what would be needed.

PKTether uses possibilities already existing, and Pentax had prepared some of it to be used in debug mode (probably ment for service). If real time streaming in full resolution (in a standard format!) is somewhere hidden in the firmware, some hack in debug mode could probably bend the output channel to the USB interface, but if it is not already in the firmware...

EDIT: The firmware may include routines for real time streaming to provide live view, and to prepare storing video to the sd card. But for both purposes support for the full sensor resolution isn't needed. And I doubt Pentax has included software interfaces to support external devices, if these are not to be used by service.

Last edited by RKKS08; 10-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has no support for live view tethering and most likely never will.

If that is what you need then you have to get a Canon or Nikon.

10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input, don't think i'll be rushing out anytime soon to purchase a nikon or canon unless my lottery ticket comes up.LOL
10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?. You can connect a HD field monitor to your camera (Marshall sells some), should be able to find a recent release high-end laptop, that can be used as a HDMI monitor $$$. But if you are looking to see live, streaming HD output from the camera for recording purpose, then you need to change brands.

Cheers.
10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?. You can connect a HD field monitor to your camera (Marshall sells some), should be able to find a recent release high-end laptop, that can be used as a HDMI monitor $$$. But if you are looking to see live, streaming HD output from the camera for recording purpose, then you need to change brands.

Cheers.
thi

You just gave me an idea. Did a quick search on HDMI tablets and there are a number that are Android based. I am now wondering if connecting the body to the tablet with a HDMI cable so that on the tablet via the HDMI window I can view the LiveView.

My use case is essentially a low sitting tripod shot where its difficult to get to either the viewfinder and the rear monitor screen. I think if PKTether were to run on an Android tablet (or something other than Windows), that a tablet type device (or smart phone) would be a very workable solution for Pentax's lack of tethering and a flexible rear monitor. All you would need to do is to connect a second USB cable for command and control.

Has anyone tried a configuration similar to this?

10-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am working on something similar - trying to find a 3" LCD remote monitor that will work with our cameras,

Starting with post #21:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/200888-also-no-swi...ml#post2125057
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@stormtech

What's about this one:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003U6368Y/?smid=AHEHYYYC0DF5T&tag=mainseek-new-21&l...Kr3m2ED2CjfA7A
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
thi

You just gave me an idea. Did a quick search on HDMI tablets and there are a number that are Android based. I am now wondering if connecting the body to the tablet with a HDMI cable so that on the tablet via the HDMI window I can view the LiveView.

My use case is essentially a low sitting tripod shot where its difficult to get to either the viewfinder and the rear monitor screen. I think if PKTether were to run on an Android tablet (or something other than Windows), that a tablet type device (or smart phone) would be a very workable solution for lack of tethering and a flexible rear monitor. All you would need to do is to connect a second USB cable for command and control.

Has anyone tried a configuration similar to this?

We've just acquired an ASUS Transformer TF700 (Infinity) and of course it is Android based (at the present with Ice Cream Sandwich, which is V4.0).
This also had a HDMI connection (as well as USB).

I had looked into connecting my K5 to a "live" external monitor of some sort but never got around to do it.

So, what exactly would be involved in your plan: PKTether, cables, settting it up, etc ... to make this work ?
If you give me precise instructions, maybe I could give it a try, as long as it doesn't mess up my K5 internals (software/firmware).

To the OP: sorry to barge in like that but I think your thread is worth looking into. I am not sure if the OP needs "Live View streaming" though. I don't.
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got a Mac so pktether is not an option (its not reliable via a virtual machine).
So I picked up from a rummage sale a small portable battery powered CDPlayer that has an HDMI-in port, so I can view/show the screen live. Sadly, those monitors SUCK! They are relatively small, resolutions is about 600x800 if lucky, and the color is not accurate.
But, to show someone or do video on my own, it helps to see what is going on.

And the video monitor guys know they've got you over a barrel. There is no reason their schtuff needs to cost $700+.
But what ya gonna do if you want better output.

Of course, newer computer monitors with HDMI inputs are becoming more popular.
10-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
the video monitor guys know they've got you over a barrel. There is no reason their schtuff needs to cost $700+.
Search for 'lilliput field monitor' on Google, eBay or Amazon. No need to pay anywhere near $700.