Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Excited - wfh to await arrival of new K5

UPS is forcing my hand. The buggers seems to have sole control over my life, thus I shall work from home (wfh) tomorrow to be here when they deliver the new K5. Should have my new smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens later this week, too. Can't wait to start playing with the new gear!

10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have fun! You're in for a treat.
10-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great combo!!
10-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having played tag with UPS numerous times, I can sympathize.

You'll love the K-5 just in time for autumn colors - if you get those in Washington.

10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Having played tag with UPS numerous times, I can sympathize.

You'll love the K-5 just in time for autumn colors - if you get those in Washington.
We do get them here - it's a matter of elevation. Saw all kinds of early color in the hills when riding my dual sport yesterday. Almost reached for the Canon G12 nestled in a custom holder in my tank bag...but I was having too much fun on the bike and neglected to take any shots...

I saw the UPS truck drive by earlier - sure hope they didn't go to the wrong address around the corner - that's happened in the past.

I live at xx,xxx NE 105th street. Literally around the corner is the same street address, but on 105th Street NE... which, in this area, is an entirely different street. I've seen FEDEX, UPS and USPS deliver their stuff to me, so I can only assume if something doesn't arrive here, it may be over there...LOL Sad, but true...
10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
touchdown!
10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doggydude Quote
touchdown!
Just 6 hours for the first battery charge

10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Gives time to read the manual and then experience the low light capability.
10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
LOL...yeah, missed that in the manual. My battery was showing fully charged when plugin into the charger, so I ripped off a few quick shots with the macro and the ISO cranked up to 6400 - we'll see how those look in a bit.
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Frankie

I went through this with the K20d and K-5. At least I had lithiums ready with the K200d when it came.
10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL...yeah, missed that in the manual. My battery was showing fully charged when plugin into the charger, so I ripped off a few quick shots with the macro and the ISO cranked up to 6400 - we'll see how those look in a bit.
Say what?. You inserted the battery in the charger and the green light went out almost right-away. That is not normal for a virgin unit, right out of the box, AFAIK.
10-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Say what?. You inserted the battery in the charger and the green light went out almost right-away. That is not normal for a virgin unit, right out of the box, AFAIK.
Actually no. This is where I needed to learn what the charger was telling me.

The green light on the charger just stayed on...between that, and this thread, it was obvious to me the battery needs to charge for a while, so its now back on the counter, charging...

In the meantime, I'm cleaning up memory on my laptop to manage these big files.
10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The green light on the charger just stayed on...between that, and this thread, it was obvious to me the battery needs to charge for a while, so its now back on the counter, charging...

The big 16+ MB RAW files coming out of the K-5 filled my Laptop quick and it is a 500 GB hd on my laptop that is three years old and still handles my images in Lightroom and photoshop just fine.
I now have a three terabyte hard drive and have backed all my image files onto it, now I have two and a half terabytes left, plus I have a clean 1 terabyte HD hooked up to my laptop as well. I highly suggest you go and invest in a decent external hard drive, get as much space as you can afford.
Also- try and get a Seagate HD, that is what I just bought, My 1 terabyte HD I have is a western digital "My Book" and it has "crapware" that is totally impossible to remove. The Seagate came with crapware too but was just a matter of deleting it and now I have a totally clean storage HD. I don't need all that crapware, it was just software that made it easy to upload images to places like Face book, the cloud, etc.... but since I am "old school", I just like putting all my images onto a clean hard drive without any other issues.....that's just me....
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

External terabyte hard-drives are coming down in price..
edit: Bird Dude, good advice.
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #15

Original Poster
Funny you guys suggest that. I just ordered another 128gb "walking around" solid state drive. I have another 750gb LaCie unit in the cabinet for back ups.

I LOVE my new Samsung laptop, but... the 128 gb solid state drive is smallish. It does, however, run just fine even when entirely full...LOL

Oh, and I'm loving the handling of the K5...and the built in flash flat rocks. The shutter is disquietingly...quiet. The dogs seem to like it, too...

...well...I was going to upload a couple pics to my webshots account, but just learned, while trying to login, that the service is locked pending changes. Lovely - 8 years of images inaccessible, and my paid account won't let me upload images now. Lovely. Their new service doesn't work, as you cannot login as they claim you can. Just freakin' lovely. *sigh* Sometimes I hate the Internet...and that's saying a lot given my profession...