Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Dirty Sensor

Hi , I will really appreciate help here.

The two pictures attached were taken with my K-5 + D FA MACRO 100mm WR. Same subject, ane picture at F2.8, the other at F32, that is, both ends of the lens.

The F32 shows many black dots indicating likely a dirty sensor. It must be the sensor because I get the same dots with any of my lens (18-135 WR, DA 40 limited, 55-300, A-2.8 135mm, D FA100mm).

The camera was recently sent to professional cleaning, I got it back just 3 weeks ago and I have noticed the dirt just recently.

The Dust Alert function does not detect any dust. I used repeatedly the dust blower to try removing any dust, but no success.

Should I send it back to cleaning (is actually a pain)? Why is the dust alert so ineffective? Has anybody noticed a similar behavior?

Thanks a lot for any answers
Felipe

Attached Images

10-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F32 is a very extreme condition. If it can't be seen at F16, then these are extremely tiny particles.

Professional cleaning should get rid of most dust, but this might be even too extreme for them. In trying to clean tiny dust off, you might introduce more dust into the system - so be aware of that.

If you really want to get rid of them, try the below (listed in degrees of risk/result):

1) In-camera sensor shake
2) Rocket blower - blow towards the sensor facing down to dislodge dust
3) Pentax sticky lollipop - a stick with a gummy sticky end that picks up dust. Will touch the sensor.
4) Eclipse Wet wipe system - a stick with a cloth end that has a wet solution to pick up dust. Will touch sensor.
10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #3

Whilst it might be a pain to return it for cleaning, if the sensor is still dirty after the aforemention suggestions using a rocket blower, then it implies that the sensor wasn't professionally cleaned in the first instance.

I would return it for cleaning with the enclosed shots to highlight the situation.
10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you get that after a cleaning you should probably ask for your money back or a re-do.
Dust does tend to get in there, though. The best way to avoid it is to keep a lens on, exchange lenses quickly and keep the mount down. Beyond that, you can also learn to remove dust spots in photoshop.
Dust is one of those side effects of going digital..

10-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #5

Wide range zoom lens will 'suck' air in during zooming which can result in dust on the sensor, so keeping a lens on the body will not always keep the dreaded dust a bay!!

Last edited by WightWalker; 10-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.
10-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully not your problem but worth a look

K-5 Sensor Stains | Pentax Support
07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #7

seems to be a problem on k-5 sensor, cannot be cleanable, the dust are between sensor and moire filter

read more here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/124799-some-k-5s-shipped-stain...aa-filter.html