Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

help I received my k5 today

I just received my k5 that i ordered from beach camera ( I was too impatient about the b H photo holiday closing to wait).
Anyway isn't a "brand new" camera be in a sealed box?, mine didn't have any seals in the box, no tape to closing the packages of the battery and things like that, NO WARRANTY CARD (it said they would sent one), there was none of that plastic sheet covering the screen, in fact there was a finger print on it. I'm calling them to get answers and my Warranty! does any of you have experience with them?

I checked the shutter count manufacture date on this website and this is what I got, can I trust this date and asume this camera is new??

Camera PENTAX K-5

Manufature Date 2012:07:14

Shutter Count 1

Another thing when I move the camera from side to side there is a sound inside like something is loose is this normal??
Coming from a canon the shutter sound is pretty weird to me lol. I can't really test the camera right now because I haven't receive my lenses or m42 adapter I ordered :/

10-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hm. I don't think my camera (Not a K-5, but still) was a shrinkwrapped box or anything, but it was definitely apparent that it was new. The instruction manual was in a sealed bag, I think. And there was a warranty card. I would assume based on the shutter count of 1 that your camera is in fact new, though.

The "movement" you hear may just be the "floating sensor" that helps the shake reduction work.
10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
Another thing when I move the camera from side to side there is a sound inside like something is loose is this normal??
That's normal- do a search for "clunk sound" for more info on it.

As far as the warranty goes, as long as you have an invoice from an authorized retailer (beach camera is), you'll be covered.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
i guess I was just freaking out. I'll get a sigma 8-16 tomorrow other lenses soon!! can wait!!

10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Err, I don't think you received a completely new camera. It might be the one they kept in their store for the customers to "feel". And therefore, possibly also the last piece they had. Definitely not "new" though. I'd ask them for a discount, since a) you didn't get a complete package and b) the box was already opened at least once.
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #6

yeah, I'd ask for a discount. It is a new camera based on the shutter count, but was likely a case demo or something. There should have been a bit of plastic over the LCD and like you said, various other things that indicate "new".
10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Meh, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. Warranty I'd chase. My K5 arrives yesterday, bran dnew, and no plastic on the view screen, no seals ont he box, no shrink wrap.

You have to keep in mind that every item they add (plastic wrap, etc.) adds a step to the process and a cost to the process. Amortize that over several thousand units and the costs start to add up for Pentax. So, why would they stick plastic over the view screen when the body is bubble wrapped anyway? (mine was, at least).

The shutter count is the giveaway - even if this was a floor model that people handled, it was clearly NEVER powered up, as anyone sampling the camera is bound to hit the shutter release if there's power, so the bottom line here is you have a new camera.

Realizing, however, that there is a difference between "brand new" and "new", the only thing left to understand is how much that slight difference makes to you personally. Our opinions count for diddley.

I know I'll get scratches, etc. on my camera, so I don't sweat that stuff. It's part of a "life well lived".

You may feel very differently (as you are fully entitled to), but in the end, that shutter count tells you the camera is new and ready for YOUR action.

..........make sure they send the warranty card, though. That's gold.

FWIW, my box showed up as you describe yours. My shutter count is 44 (that's all mine from yesterday and today) and the manufacture date is July 13, 2012 (fresh...melikely!).
10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K-5 in-store in Tokyo.
The shop assistant brought one out from the back and I watched him open the box; the box was new and unopened, but didn't have any seals on it.
The contents were bagged, but not taped up.
Camera had nothing on the screen.
I'd check everything is there, then call them and ask where the warranty card is and why there is a print on the screen of the camera.
The shutter count is important - mine was at "0".

10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
I guess that's the way pentax packs their things then. I just tought it was weir because I am used to seals and tape on every electronic I've bought in the past.