Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

k-5 pop-up flash does not work

today, from my k-5, stop working, pop up flash in any mode I try to shoot. when pop up flash is down, everything work well.
I bought this body new from a shop, have only 2 month old and only 1500 shutter count.
I found some discussions about this problem on the forum, but without solution to repair this problem.
how anyone solve this problem, must be send to warranty? THX

10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All I can think of is that the capacitor for the flash is not charing and not allowing the photo to be taken. I believe there is a setting to wait for flash to charge before allowing the photo to be taken or not. Sadly, my K5 just went back to the shop to have the weather seals put in properly after the prior repair. So I cannot check what menu item that might be.

I'd try turning that off and see if the photo can be taken. If it is, and the flash does not go off, that might be the problem.
Either way, it sounds like repair is in your future.
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Have you started wearing a hat with a brim? If it pushes the flash down a little, it will not fire. I very rarely use the pop up for a bit of fill, and I have to remember to push my hat back first.

(Hoping for the easiest solution).
10-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
if I push little bit down popup flash, the k-5 body take any photo well, I think the capacitor or flash lamp are broken

10-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
All I can think of is that the capacitor for the flash is not charing and not allowing the photo to be taken. I believe there is a setting to wait for flash to charge before allowing the photo to be taken or not. Sadly, my K5 just went back to the shop to have the weather seals put in properly after the prior repair. So I cannot check what menu item that might be.

I'd try turning that off and see if the photo can be taken. If it is, and the flash does not go off, that might be the problem.
Either way, it sounds like repair is in your future.
i know this menu, if I set to not wait charging flash, body work well, but flash light still do not work.
10-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by giani Quote
i know this menu, if I set to not wait charging flash, body work well, but flash light still do not work.
Sad to hear it, but at least it sounds like you've narrowed down the problem to something that is not caused simply by you doing something silly.
10-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine stopped working, wouldn't fire. I hardly ever use flash, and my camera was pretty lightly used overall. I'd used the flash a few times that day, and just a few minutes before it stopped working. Once it broke, AF would not operate on half-press with flash up, although it would start to AF on full-press as it was firing. Everything worked perfectly with flash down. So I fiddled with it, reset to defaults, tried different battery, etc, and then finally gave up and sent it in for warranty repair. Got in back 3 weeks later, they replaced the flash unit, all is well. I have heard of several others with same issue -- some part or connection in there must be dodgy -- hopefully repair will be permanent.
10-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giani Quote
today, from my k-5, stop working, pop up flash in any mode I try to shoot. when pop up flash is down, everything work well.
I bought this body new from a shop, have only 2 month old and only 1500 shutter count.
I found some discussions about this problem on the forum, but without solution to repair this problem.
how anyone solve this problem, must be send to warranty? THX
Send it in for warranty repair.

10-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #9

Original Poster
I went to warranty and found a flash fuse burned in 30 minutes was repaired.
Thanks for all the answers.