Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

k5II & K5IIs LCD screen

Does anyone know if the new K5II has anti-reflective and scratch-resistant sapphire glass for its LCDs? I was reading on another forum that the special edition k5 and the new k5II/s have it. I have read that sapphire glass is so scratch resistent that screen protectors aren't even necessary. I can't find any real proof of this and am wondering if I should order LCD protectors or not for my K5II. I also am looking for recommendations for lcd protectors.

10-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's supposedly more resilient, but it's definitely easier to see! See here:
The Pentax K-5 II / K-5 IIs Report - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Based on the early announcements, I was planning to forgo a protector on my future K52s
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

I have a screen protector on my K10D and didn't bother on my GX20 and it's been fine, and I haven't been gentle with them. You'd have to work pretty hard to scratch one of those screens I think.

10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Personally, while I can understand the concept of a screen protector, I never felt the real-world need for them.

The two Fuji point-and-shoots I used consecutively for years, bouncing around in the car and in my pocket, never had a screen protector, and never got a scratch on them.
I tried one on my NEX-5 for about 2 days and it made the screen even harder to see in daylight, so that was the end of that. Never used one for any of my Pentaxes.

However, I probably should have put one on the Ipod Touch I got as a present a while ago. Within a day of opening the box the screen got cracked just from day-to-day use. However I think camera rear LCD's are better protected and engineered than your typical Apple garbage.
10-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No screen protectors on any of my cameras in the past also, and no scratches on general usage. I am careful with my gear though.

The K-5 MkII screen will no doubt make it easier to shoot in LV mode.
I hardly consider Apple gear as typical garbage - any dropped electrical item will crack, any screen will be scratched by hard, sharp objects, and I've never experienced any problems with any of my Apple products despite never applying any screen protectors on them.
10-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

However, I probably should have put one on the Ipod Touch I got as a present a while ago. Within a day of opening the box the screen got cracked just from day-to-day use. However I think camera rear LCD's are better protected and engineered than your typical Apple garbage.
My iPod Touch got scratched straight away as well, the quality of the screens are proper junk