Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My K5 is on the way.

I just ordered my Pentax K5 from B and H Photo, yesterday for $879. I bought the DA 18-55 WR lens with it, because I wanted a compact, weather resistant lens to go with the body. This is my first DSLR. I can't wait to get out in the field with it and to also try some night shots. I also bought that Pentax two year extended warranty for $20. Thats a great deal. You can send the camera back to Pentax, anytime within the three years and Pentax will check everything out and make sure that it's up to spec.

I feel a lot better buying from a camera store, that has been around for a long time and has a good reputation, instead of some internet, fly by night company, that tries to low ball you, with Gray Market equipment.

John

Last edited by JD44; 10-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice for your first DSLR

Good choice of reputable vendor

Good choice with 2 year extended warranty

Sounds like you've done your homework before buying with all good choices. Now you can wait for the delivery and get ready to enjoy your new equipment.
10-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It shipped today.

Thanks. It shipped today. The administer (Adam?) sent me an email, that has the Pentax K5 owners manual in it. I have been going over it, so I will be ready when it arrives. I worked in a camera shop for a couple of years, but that was 28 years ago. That was the most fun job, that I have ever had.
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You are really going to like the K-5, if you get the chance and can afford it, I highly recommend the grip, get the Pentax grip, it is worth the $200, it is of higher quality and retains the weather sealing capabilities and to me that alone is worth it in my book.
You will be pleasantly surprised at how it will help balance your set up out and how it fits your hands easier, even though it adds a little weight I feel that that is a plus especially for holding the camera still while taking a shot with slow shutter speed.
I moved up from a K-x and am extremely happy with my decision, to me it is like having a K-x on steroids and with way more features. However, the K-x is an awesome little camera in itself, I actually have it in my bag right alongside my K-5 and it gets just as much use as the K-5.

10-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice BirdDude007. I might get the battery grip at some time. I can see the advantage. For now, I'm going to concentrate on getting some lenses for my K5. I would have liked to buy the Pentax DA 18-135 WR lens, so that I could have a bit more versatality. From reading the reviews, it didn't sound like the best lens for the money. I was a bit disappointed when I saw that Tamron doesn't offer their SP 70-300 in the Pentax mount. I have a couple of Tamron Adaptall SP lenses and a PK mount from when I used my Ricoh XR-P SLR, back in the 80's. That was one point, that helped sell me on the K5. There are all of these K mount lenses and even screw mount lenses (with an adapter), that you can use on the K5. So many people have film cameras just collecting dust. They just about give the cameras and lenses away.

John
10-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the club! The 18-135 is decent, most copies even great - but for compact WR the 18-55 is impressive.
And I love my 'classic' Rikenon lenses, in part because they take the same 52mm filters as that 18-55!
10-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your purchase of the K5. Great combo with the DA18-135WR. Light enough as a walk around lens. It takes great photos too.

Edited. OOps, sorry, JD44, mistook it as 18-135 when you actually have the 18-55WR. THat is a great lens in its own right too. I used to have it when I got the K7 but sold it off as I already have the DA*16-50. I got the 18-135 as a holiday lens as the 16-50 is my work lens.

Last edited by felixkh; 10-13-2012 at 11:44 PM.
10-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Congrats on your purchase of the K5. Great combo with the DA18-135WR. Light enough as a walk around lens. It takes great photos too.
What he said.....

Most of the time I usually have the 18-135 on my K-5, it is a pretty good all around lens

10-13-2012, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I picked up a Pentax ZX-60 (35mm autofocusing SLR), with two Pentax AF zoom lenses and a case today for $45. I wasn't interested in the camera. The lenses are a Pentax 28-90 and a Pentax 75-300. All are in like new condition. That's one thing that I like about the Pentax mount, is that you can use all of these older lenses and you can get them cheap.
10-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great choice.

You will enjoy it.

Tom G
10-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Have fun. You are into a serious learning curve, but enjoy yourself. I found that the first bunch of shots I took were great, then I started pushing my skill level a bit more and I couldn't seem to get any keepers. After a bit of time and many many shots, I learned how to get what I wanted. It will be quite a while before I run out of learning space with this camera. Lenses are another story however.... I think there is a support group around here for LBA.