Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member
treebeard's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windham, NH
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 795
I use a Metz 44 A-1 and I usually use Av mode or X mode on my K-5 and set the Metz to TTL or M mode. I still have not decided which method I prefer, I guess it depends on the lighting situation. Sometimes I get overexposure but it's not really that much and it happens usually when I have a drastic change in the lighting from one room to the next. I shoot in some places where I am amazed the camera can even focus. Most of the time I end up putting the Metz in M mode and it works great. I guess I would consider it a minor inconvenience?

10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Naples (IT)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
I agree, Manual MODE work well and displayed distance is coherent with flash Power!

It is strange, but if I change the Flash Power in Manual MODE, until the displayed distance is the same of the subject distance, the exposure is correct!

--> Flash is able to estimate the flash distance depending on Aperture, ISO and Focal length properly --> p-ttl correction is WRONG!
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member
westmill's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stoke on Trent
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
No matter what mode you use... exposures are all over the place. Try setting as I said.. it works, period lol. Do not miss the HSS bit !!!! Set the metz to PTTL HSS !
Turn off your auto correction... Bingo.... yer in buisness lol.
10-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Naples (IT)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
No matter what mode you use... exposures are all over the place. Try setting as I said.. it works, period lol. Do not miss the HSS bit !!!! Set the metz to PTTL HSS !
Turn off your auto correction... Bingo.... yer in buisness lol.
I see the same results, with both PTTL HSS and PTTL... nothing changed!

10-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member
westmill's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stoke on Trent
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
I see the same results, with both PTTL HSS and PTTL... nothing changed!
Ive been plauged with the same problem since the day I bought it. I now have it working almost faultlessly so Im not sure what you are not doing.
It still leaves the issue of it not focussing properly in artificial light. Bummer lol
Very odd though. I seriously put it through its paces and it passed with flying colours !
Dont know what else I can say to be honnest. gutted its not working for you though.
10-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Naples (IT)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
Don't worry!
As I said in my previous post I will try with a first guess exposure value = -1 in direct light to avoid burn lights and use raw file to compensate exposure in pp.

Last edited by gflauti; 10-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.
10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #22
Senior Member
Migno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Naples
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
Interesting topic... I've got my brand new K5 about a week ago. And it was the first issue I've experienced so far.

I use a Metz 48 with the latest firmware and I usually shot with M setting on camera and P-TTL on the flash. In situations like urban streets at night, it ALWAYS blows people's faces until I set the camera to -4 EV or even -5 EV.
When I don't use it straight but, say, I'm using a nearby wall for some light bouncing, the exposure is correct intestead, and I can set it from 0 EV to -1.7 EV in order to have a good shot.

I'd like to buy a 58 AF-2 in order to make up for it, but it looks like it won't solve anything, judjing from your witnesses...
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian
adwb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bristol UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,631
since i never use my k5 and Metz 48 out side in the dark I can't comment but i will test tonight if i get a chance, but at weddings in any light level with the k5 in p or av or manual and the 48 in PTTL I have no problems.

ok so the odd shoot is out but think thats the nature of pttl flash, it is not 100% right all the time.

I only shoot raw only with no high light or shadow correction on.

10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Naples (IT)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Migno Quote
Interesting topic... I've got my brand new K5 about a week ago. And it was the first issue I've experienced so far.

I use a Metz 48 with the latest firmware and I usually shot with M setting on camera and P-TTL on the flash. In situations like urban streets at night, it ALWAYS blows people's faces until I set the camera to -4 EV or even -5 EV.
When I don't use it straight but, say, I'm using a nearby wall for some light bouncing, the exposure is correct intestead, and I can set it from 0 EV to -1.7 EV in order to have a good shot.

I'd like to buy a 58 AF-2 in order to make up for it, but it looks like it won't solve anything, judjing from your witnesses...
I think Pentx introduced with k-5 a sort of correction depending on estimated focus distance. Try to take a picture at the same subject changing manually the focus distance. Also if blurred, flash exposure changes with the distance itself.

Last edited by gflauti; 10-27-2012 at 08:14 AM.
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
New Member
Gianpaolo64's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Turin, Italy
Posts: 3
My K5 with Metz 48 AF 1 doesn't overexpose so much as yours. With Pentax 17-70 sometimes it requires -0.7 but if subject is far (more than 2-3 meters) it works well with no correction. With Pentax 55-300 it has a tendency to underexpose and usually requires a +0.3/+0.7 to give optimal results.
I always use M setting on camera and flash set on P-TTL, highlight correction on.
As gflauti noticed the lens focus distance has a great influence on flash exposure so I am wondering whether these unreliable results with P-TTL flash can be due to inaccurate focus distance returned by lenses.
10-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Naples (IT)
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianpaolo64 Quote
My K5 with Metz 48 AF 1 doesn't overexpose so much as yours. With Pentax 17-70 sometimes it requires -0.7 but if subject is far (more than 2-3 meters) it works well with no correction. With Pentax 55-300 it has a tendency to underexpose and usually requires a +0.3/+0.7 to give optimal results.
I always use M setting on camera and flash set on P-TTL, highlight correction on.
As gflauti noticed the lens focus distance has a great influence on flash exposure so I am wondering whether these unreliable results with P-TTL flash can be due to inaccurate focus distance returned by lenses.
I agree, 55-300 works much better in direct light than my 18-55 and tamron 17-50.
I guess due to an higher focus ring angle variation-->better distance estimation-->better flash exposure!

Last edited by gflauti; 10-26-2012 at 02:29 PM.
10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Senior Member
Migno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Naples
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
I've only tried it with the 16-50 'till now. I'd do that with other lenses.

Problem is, I use the flash in PTTL mode mostly while using the 16-50.
10-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Pentaxian
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,379
What Is The Correct ISO For The K-5/Metz 58AF-2 Combo?

I tried it for the flash first time today in Av as fill-in and at ISO 80(Auto & "X")and got good exposure if the subject wasn't too close. Lens used was the '43.
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #29
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbourne .Australia
Posts: 5
Flash over exposure fixed in K-5 II(s)

Has the much talked about flash overexposure in the K-5, (put down to firmware problems), been fixed in the K-5 II(s)?? If so will it be back-ported to the K-5?

Cheers

Tim
10-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #30
Veteran Member
westmill's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stoke on Trent
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by timsshots Quote
Has the much talked about flash overexposure in the K-5, (put down to firmware problems), been fixed in the K-5 II(s)?? If so will it be back-ported to the K-5?

Cheers

Tim
this is somthing I have been asking. People are actually now taking delivery so i guess it will not be long before reports start to come in. Im hopefull lol
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-x, k5, overexposure, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aokatec AK-TTL Radio Wireless TTL Flash Trigger for Nikon Canon Pentax Sony callmeraymon Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 28 08-25-2012 01:24 PM
How do I use external TTL flash on the *ist D? ducdao Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 09-01-2011 04:33 PM
Flash overexposure with new K5 dh87 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 36 08-05-2011 04:12 PM
P-TTL overexposure, no more negative flash compensation Eruditass Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 11 10-09-2010 05:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top