Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I shot the other night with the idea of testing exactly this. The K-5 and K-5 iis were kinda the same. MOstly OK, but every once in a while overexposure with direct flash. Bounce was perfect every time. (Metz AF 58 2)

If you set the flash to "A" mode and pick the aperture you want it solves most of the issues, but your not using TTL at all. But it's better than P-TTL.

10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I shot the other night with the idea of testing exactly this. The K-5 and K-5 iis were kinda the same. MOstly OK, but every once in a while overexposure with direct flash. Bounce was perfect every time. (Metz AF 58 2)

If you set the flash to "A" mode and pick the aperture you want it solves most of the issues, but your not using TTL at all. But it's better than P-TTL.
Bit of a shame... but thank you for that. If you set your flash to P TTL HSS aperture priority, turn off extra highlight range, you will prob find you get perfect exposures inside and out. Works from any ISO and any aperture. But yes, I had thought about buying the 58 for the A mode. It does solve most problems. You should try my way though. It seems to work well.
10-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Exposure lock and Metering

My 2 cents...
I am experiencing exposure issues with my K-5ii and K-5iis while using PROmaster 7500EDF. 25% of the images weren't right. And I studied these images with the 75% good ones. I then figured that there are situations that affect the exposure and then there area settings on the camera that affect the exposure as well.
The following settings in the camera are worth paying attention to
1. Metering Mode.
2. A setting called "Link AE to AF point"
3. A setting "AE-L with AF Locked"

They all play together and determine the exposure. I spent some time understanding the metered light and using a spot, center weighted and multi segment modes. SInce flash tries to compensate for the metered light it becomes very important which light from the scene is being metered. Setting 2 and 3 also affect greatly since the spot you focused may be darker and surrounding areas may be lighter resulting in overexposure for ex.
Just like when using center focus we recompose the image after focusing we should meter the light in the scene which needs to be correctly exposed and then recompose our image. I no longer wonder about the presence of a separate AE-L button on my Pentax cos thats what it is for. You can meter and focus separately to get it right.
Note that setting 2 and 3 can throw things off so know them very well and how they are playing a role in your exposure. All the math seemingly going wrong with flash exposure will straighten up.
People with white clothes in the scene seem to thrown off the exposure math as well in case multi segment metering mode is used is what I observed lately. I am still studying this phenomena myself but it seems the camera is not doing the math wrong but it actually is the scene and the combination of the settings mentioned above.

Good luck experimenting