Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5: P-TTL External FLASH overexposure

Hi,
I have had in the past a Pentax k-x with Metz 50 AF1. They was working well together (just a little underexposure sometime).

Using the same lens and the same Flash, my k-5 give unconsistent results, expecially with direct light and flash mounted on the hot shoe (usually there is a big overexposure).

I know, I have to fix ISO, use M or A mode and reduce exposure of about 1 stop...

but the questions are:
why my k-x was working better than my k-5?
Why Pentax does not release a firmware to fix this problem?

Last edited by gflauti; 10-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.
10-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
I seem to remember issues with this some time ago, over a year I think, and the consensus was that it was fixed or greatly improved with a firmware update. Check to see if you have the latest firmware.

Also, if it is consistently over exposing use the flash compensation to dial it down a bit. Another thought: which lens? If the lens is manual or not communicating properly with the camera then the flash may have the wrong focal length.
10-12-2012, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gflauti Quote
Hi,
I have had in the past a Pentax k-x with Metz 50 AF1. They was working well together (just a little underexposure sometime).

Using the same lens and the same Flash, my k-5 give unconsistent results, expecially with direct light and flash mounted on the hot shoe (usually there is a big overexposure).

I know, I have to fix ISO, use M or A mode and reduce exposition of about 1 stop...

but the questions are:
why my k-x was working better than my k-5?
Yup the K5 is a bit hopeless when it comes to flash im afraid. It does work well if you set the preflash working though. ( red eye reduction ). This is obviously not always ideal but it works and it works reliably and consitantly.
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To quote from L33tGreg in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/197906-me...ml#post2091876

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Metz, Sigma, etc never licensed PTTL and have reverse engineered it. Occasionally, when a new model comes out, they have to tweak it. For instance, Metz released firmware updates for the K-r and K-5 for Metz 58. My Metz 54 with SCA-3702m2 supports PTTL on the K20d but not the K-7 and K-5. Those require the SCA-3702m3. Unless your flash is from Pentax, there may be an incompatibility with new bodies. That's why I recommend Metz since they have software upgrades you can do from your PC
tl;dr - it's not necessarily a problem with the K-5, but the [third-party] flash. A flash that works on the K-x may need to have its firmware updated to work with the K-5. You can't expect Pentax to issue firmware updates for Metz flashes.

Metz firmware downloads:
Firmware Download Flash Units: Metz

10-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Metz updates firmware regularly. Check the latest.
10-13-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it is your flash, i have a cl45 digital and 48 from metz and both work fine on k10d,kr and k5. I get the odd rubbish overexposure in but only the odd one.
mode can be p or av or manual makes no difference, I don't use other modes so can't comment further
10-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for answers.
Let me summarize my situation:
- I have already updated firmware of both k-5 and Metz to the latest version.
- Overexposure happens only with direct light and flash mounted on hot shoe.
- Overexposure happens with both Tamron 17-50 and Pentax 18-55 lens.
- Internal flash works well
- Metz was working well with my k-x + Tamron 17-50 or Pentax 18-55
- I'm able to obtain good results reducing flash exposure of about 1 stop (but changing the focal length I have to adjust again the flash exposure, results are "unpredictable for me")
- I work with fixed ISO value, usuali in M or Av mode.
- I follow this rule as indicated in Metz user Manual: "The subject ought to be in the area of approximately 40% to 70% of the value
displayed. This will give the automatic exposure control sufficient scope for compensation. To avoid overexposure, the minimum distance should be no less than
10% of the indicated value! Adjustment to the photographic situation at hand can be achieved by, for example, changing the aperture of the setting on the lens"

By the way, the system is working properly in wireless and bounced mode. I have to accept to start with a best guessing value of -1 in the flash exposure compensation (with direct light only).

10-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #8

There was a lot of talk about this issue on the forums when the camera was first released. There was never a true fix for this through the firmware upgrades, some say it worked and some didnt

I have the the AF540 with the K5 and Tamron 17-50mm and have the same problems, not only with that 17-50 but with the 35mm prime too - the overexposure is never consistent, so cant preset the flash ev to an optimal setting. Happens on bounce as well.

Dont think its the flash, from all that I've read it seems like the metering on the body itself. If someone does have a fool proof method do tell.
10-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the theories was that somehow the distances got mixed up somewhere in the firmware of the K-5. One of the fixes was to set highlight protection to "On" which seemed to cause the firmware to relate to another distance table that did to a correct job. I've now set one of the User modes to that and named it "Flash" and exposures are spot-on ever since. I updated both camera and Metz firmware since and the last time I shot with the Matz 58 AF-1 I forgot to set the camera to that setting and the shots still came out OK which led me to believe that the issue was more or less solved.

However, give it a try, you never know!
10-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My cure works very well ! If I need flash I use my Nikon lol. The only way I would ever trust the K5 with flash when doing some thing important would be to buy the big metz and use the built in auto eye of the flash unit. With luck Im hoping for a bloody good firmware update for the K5. It is about time they got there fingers out !
10-15-2012, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trust a guy from Stoke on Trent to hope for a "bloody good firmware update" LOL

London would be : "A bloody decent firmware update"
New York : "A friggin good firmware update"
Amsterdam: "A cheap firmware update"
10-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh my god ! I may actualy have a fix lol.... Metz 50 with K5........ Set the Metz to P TTL HSS..... Set camera to AV mode.
The only thing I have yet to try is in artificial lighting. So far.... I have not been able to fool it. Inside and out... bounce or direct. From 80 ISO through to 6400 ISO and from F2.8 to F22
ALL PERFECT EXPOSURES ! ( NOTE>>> Hilight correction turned OFF ! )
10-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
ALL PERFECT EXPOSURES !
Pix, or it didn't happen
10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pix, or it didn't happen
LOL Too much trouble to do it lol. Im not kidding though. Just try it yourself. Im strugling to fool it. I set 200 ISO and took a pic of a tripod thats sat on the studio floor. I shot at F2.8 and F16 etc.. then I turned it right up to 6400 ISO same thing again. I have tried the same sort of thing outside in the sun of a green lounge chair outside the studio. From ISO 100- 6400 and F2.8 to f16 and all perfect lol Not one single pic anywhere all burnt out ! Ive tried direct... indirect... bounce... all perfect.
10-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #15

My K5 and Metz 58-AF2 also not exposure good in PTTL mode, too much variation in exposure even nothing really do change...sad but true. Must try red eye reduction on as Westmill did advice, i have newer even try that yet...