Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Similar story here.

Because two of my customers demanded that I shoot FF, I bought myself a Canon 5D. Luckily I also kept my complete Pentax kit though. Because I discovered the disadvantage of many FF lenses: The borders! Before I knew it I was cropping off the borders that were filled with softness, CA, etc. So I ended up with less then FF-format anyway. You have to have some pretty fancy glass to have a Full Frame picture filled with 100% quality. Glass that I can't justify buying.

I like the way APSC uses only the very best part of the lens. If going FF only means moving the cropping to PP, then switching was pointless excersise.

10-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #17

I recently purchased the D600 because I finally threw in the towel concerning Olympus. The D600 is smaller in size and lighter than my old E-3, but does not even come close to having the same build as the Oly. Even the Oly lenses I sold were bigger and heavier than the lenses I now have for the Nikon. Sure, they don't start at f/2.8, but the sensor + 1 or 2 primes takes care of that. IQ is phenomenal, though the only thing I don't like is having to clean the sensor, although it is a small price to pay IMO.

That being said, I'm eagerly awaiting the K-5 II/s samples to start rolling in. I spend a good amount of time in harsh environments, with lots of dirt, dust, blowing wind, mud, rain and snow. No way am I going to bring the Nikon into those conditions because I need something like the E-3 that I simply never have to worry about. The only option out there is Pentax, so a K-5 II/s or K-30 is in the cards for me.
10-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Dirty d600 sensor?

QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
I recently purchased the D600 because I finally threw in the towel concerning Olympus. Thrande D600 is smaller in size and lighter than my old E-3, but does not even come close to having the same build as the Oly. Even the Oly lenses I sold were bigger and heavier than the lenses I now have for the Nikon. Sure, they don't start at f/2.8, but the sensor + 1 or 2 primes takes care of that. IQ is phenomenal, though the only thing I don't like is having to clean the sensor, although it is a small price to pay IMO.

That being said, I'm eagerly awaiting the K-5 II/s samples to start rolling in. I spend a good amount of time in harsh environments, with lots of dirt, dust, blowing wind, mud, rain and snow. No way am I going to bring the Nikon into those conditions because I need something like the E-3 that I simply never have to worry about. The only option out there is Pentax, so a K-5 II/s or K-30 is in the cards for me.
Clean the sensor? Are those having the oil stain problems the d7000 had when it first came out or is it something else? Why would you need to clean the sensor of a brand new camera? Dust? Dirt?
10-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
Clean the sensor? Are those having the oil stain problems the d7000 had when it first came out or is it something else? Why would you need to clean the sensor of a brand new camera? Dust? Dirt?
Something like that. I haven't seen it in shooting, but I also haven't been shooting a shiny patch of blue open sky. Test shots at f22 or so show a number of specs, and from what I gather, having to clean the sensor on FF is pretty commonplace. As to the D600, a number of people have posted about having "stains" on the sensor right out of the box. Dunno, maybe crap getting dislodged/settling during the bumpy shipping process. Might even be a bit of oil-everyone seems to be doing the wet clean to rid themselves of it. Seems like everyone in the Nikon camp claim the same is happening to their new bodies, but interestingly it goes away after the first 1,000 shutter actuations. Whatever. I just know I had to clean mine & it isn't too difficult to do.

10-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not overly impressed with the IQ of teh K5, thought my K7 was more reliable focus wise. Hoping there is a huge improvment in the K5 II
10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrueFocus Quote
Pentax lenses can be easily adapted to Canon, but you really want to have lenses with aperture rings or you will be stuck at f22. (as far as I know, this is true)

P.S.
I think that many photographers return to this forum because of the community!
If I ever sell my Pentax kit, I'll keep one lens just so I can keep using this forum guilt free! It's the best out there.
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
If I ever sell my Pentax kit, I'll keep one lens just so I can keep using this forum guilt free! It's the best out there.
Very true, I've learned a LOT here. Access to this forum should be a Pentax feature. If people without Pentax were denied access, Pentax would sell a lot more.

10-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The FF body might be just as expensive as its competitors, but the FF lenses Pentax has available will make the system both relatively affordable to the enthusiast as well as easier to lug around.
Nikon also has a ton of legacy glass available for it's FF systems which is both relatively affordable and high quality. And some of the plastic fantastic primes are really lightweight.
10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

...Pentax can never win with such "enthusiastic" customers...
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nikon also has a ton of legacy glass available for it's FF systems which is both relatively affordable and high quality. And some of the plastic fantastic primes are really lightweight.
How many of those are vibration resistant?
10-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Very true, I've learned a LOT here. Access to this forum should be a Pentax feature. If people without Pentax were denied access, Pentax would sell a lot more.
Yeah, though we'd also want to avoid making it seem like an exclusive or 'elitist' group. If anything, it'd be better off being inclusive and sharing of the Pentax experience.

And yet Pentax still presses on since 1919 as a company and since 1938 making lenses.
Each company has its virtues and advantages.
10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
How many of those are vibration resistant?
None of the old lenses are...but I don't see it as a big issue.
People nowadays make it seem like stabilization is the end-all be-all, but amazingly enough, people got sharp pictures with ISO 50 film without it.
10-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

And yet Pentax still presses on since 1919 as a company and since 1938 making lenses.
Each company has its virtues and advantages.
I don't get your point...my point was that Pentax is not the only company with lots of legacy glass available.
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

None of the old lenses are...but I don't see it as a big issue.
People nowadays make it seem like stabilization is the end-all be-all, but amazingly enough, people got sharp pictures with ISO 50 film without it.
Sure, people took sharp pictures long before image stabilization was invented. However, they didn't get them in many of the lighting conditions that one can take relatively sharp pictures in today.
10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Sure, people took sharp pictures long before image stabilization was invented. However, they didn't get them in many of the lighting conditions that one can take relatively sharp pictures in today.
That has a lot to do with how far sensor technology has advanced and a lot less to do with SR or VR.
With a D600 or even a K5 it is trivial to get 1/(focal length) shutter speed because you can shoot at ISO 6400 no problem.