Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My flirtation with the Canon 6D is over ...

so I've just ordered the K-5ii.

I've been waiting to upgrade from the K7 due to subpar high ISO IQ, and have blown hot and cold since the K-5ii was announced. The siren song of the Canon 6D full frame goddess had me salivating for a while, especially after I figured I could sell off my entire Pentax kit and end up with a 6D and two or three nice pieces of L glass (depending on how eager you all were to take advantage of my confusion).

But those Limiteds kept pulling me back. I mean, I love my 50-135/2.8 but I hate carting it around ... so it often stays in the bag in favor of my 70 limited and my SMC-A 135. And my 12-24 is great, but that hood is enormous. And I get much better IQ with the 15 and 21 I can shove in my pocket, with room for the 35 macro as well. My old Sigma 18-50 is a great lens, but it weighs as much as my K-7 (or so it seems), so I take it out only rarely these days. That 40 pancake is so light I often forget I even have it along.

So, given all THAT, why would I want to sell the Pentax kit so I could lug around a bunch of heavy FF glass? So, goodbye 6D, it was fun while it lasted, but I'm staying back here where I belong. I only wish I still had some LBA left in me .. with all the people jumping in to the marketplace to sell their Pentax kits, there are bound to be some great deals on used glass around here over the next 6 months!

10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Get rid of K-7 is a good idea . I used to upgrade from K-x to K-7 and the result sucks ^_^. I ended up went to Nikon. It is quite painful to get rid of whole pentax kit and switch. It took me several month. Man it is quite painful. Now it is impossible for me to switch back since I acquired some Nikon legacy glasses and satisfied with the optics.. Since you already get so many top quality pentax lens, just stay with pentax. I think any pentax DSLR after K-7 is superb to K-7. Samsung sensor did ruined some reputation of pentax from me.

But one temping alternative is the sony nex. Sony seems don't care about it's own DSLR line. Sony only wants the camera business. So we have the opportunity to enjoy the pentax lenses and best sensor that sony made altogether .
10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sell off your big lenses and buy FA31mm.
10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the same experience with the D600 but I went a bit further than just flirting. Before I knew it, she was pregnant and I was stuck.

Remember kids, use protection when camera shopping.

10-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Same here Sol.... FF and not looking back.
10-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The only camera I am lusting for now is the Fujifilm Xpro1. A RF is the only camera that can complete my Pentax kit, RF is a completely different concept and the Xpro1 can take the nice Limiteds via an adaptor (if I can find a good one in Europe...).
Imagine the FA 31 mm mounted on the Xpro1...
10-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
After reading this, now I dont feel so guilty for entertaining the same ideas.

10-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

I think that many of us arrive at the point where FF is very much desirable. Well, if we have to wait for too long it will just get too annoying, but there's nothing we can do about it.
10-14-2012, 11:39 AM - 6 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's the funny thing I finally realized ... I may "want" FF but I don't "need" FF.

Why do I want it? Because I grew up on 35mm, and that's the digital equivalent? Perhaps, but that doesn't hold up to the light... there really is nothing equivalent between film and digital. There are things to recommend each, but the fact that a digital sensor is closer to the size of a film sensor really is irrelevant. Larger format = better quality, sure. But take that to its logical extreme and (financial limitations aside) what I'm really hunkering after is a 645D.

So, why the obsession with FF then? Because the marketing guys told me so? Probably more likely. But then I break it down and -- for me, and for what and why I shoot -- the advantages of APS-C outweigh the advantages of FF.

Advantages of APS-C? Sounds ridiculous, perhaps. But consider these: lighter weight kit, further reach at the tele end, and less expensive glass that is as high quality as anything you can get in the FF world. And I don't buy that, for most of us, there is a huge drop off in quality between FF and APS-C. I find the latter is more than sufficient for nearly anything I want to do digitally -- plenty of detail in my RAW files that supports all the editing I want (or know how) to do, and is more than adequate to support prints of 24x30 or larger, which is about as big as I will ever want to go. (It's not like the Met is ringing me up asking for some 80x80 prints to hang on their wall.) And I tend not to crop too much -- film taught me to shoot what I want through the viewfinder, so I rarely have the need to go to an extreme crop to get the pic I want (and digital freed me from the limitations of the 36-exposure roll in experimenting with alternate angles or techniques in the field). The biggest downside of APS-C for me was always at the wider end, but I've adjusted to 15 (22.5 on FF) as a perfect superwide end, and I can go down to 12 (18) in a pinch if I'm willing to put up with a little distortion around the edges.

So, I'm happy with my decision to stay in the fold, anxiously waiting for the K-5ii to arrive this week, and eagerly scouting the Marketplace for deals from those who may feel differently than me.

Cheers.
10-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Best of both worlds...

I just have to test the K-5 iis against the 5D Mark II. If the resolution is there, there is no point in having a Full Frame camera.
10-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I priced them out the other day.. both the d600 and 6d... once it went over the $3500 mark for the body and 1 lens that would probably be the range of my limiteds I thought.... hmmm with $3500 i could get me some DA* & FA glass.. Keep my K5 or up to the IIs and still have enough $$$ left over for a happy meal! Ha... Yesterday I went on a photo walk... ABout 15 or so... Either you were Canon or Nikon....I was the only Pentax and I loved being the odd ball...Oh and my buddy was there with his Olympus E5! So 2 odd balls....
10-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Pentax FF would stir up a lot of interest in those looking for FF FoV but concerned about the extra weight (and cost) the other systems will drag them down with.
The FF body might be just as expensive as its competitors, but the FF lenses Pentax has available will make the system both relatively affordable to the enthusiast as well as easier to lug around.
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To begin with, as I understand Pentax lenses can be used on Canon bodies by means of adapter. On the other hand, there is much photo life outside of Pentax world.
10-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Same here Sol.... FF and not looking back.
Not that I mean to be rude, but isn't being here a form of "looking back"? I'm not saying your opinion isn't welcome, but it is Pentax Forums, and not even a non-Pentax thread. Having said that, I do think it's OK to look back, in fact, it's necessary sometimes, to see if you've really gained more than you've lost by moving.
10-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
Forum Member

Pentax lenses can be easily adapted to Canon, but you really want to have lenses with aperture rings or you will be stuck at f22. (as far as I know, this is true)

P.S.
I think that many photographers return to this forum because of the community!