Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 v K30 cannot decide

I have spent way too much time this week reading reviews and posts trying to decide between a K5 and K-30, changing my mind daily for about 5 days now. I am wondering just how much difference there is between the two in terms of low-light shooting - both autofocus issues, and usable ISO range.

I am upgrading from a K200D. I have loved it but struggled with issues like shooting in low light and also with scenes with an inherent wide dynamic range - like desert canyons where there is always a huge tradeoff between shadow rock detail and bright sky. I think either of these cameras will be a huge upgrade.

For me, the advantages of the K5 would be the availabilty of a battery grip (I do a lot of shooting in vertical orientation and it seems like the buttons on the battery grip would be nice). I like the idea of dedicated buttons vs hunting thru menus. Higher fps for RAW would be good. Re the K-30, I have been trying to determine how much the lack of a top LCD would affect me, I think I tend to get most of my info via the viewfinder display. I think there would be less "upgrade distress" going from the K200D to the K30.

However, in reading user reviews and forum comments I see people saying that the K30 autofocus is better. I know it is newer but the test comparisons didn't seem to me to be that different. So I am wondering how significant that difference is.

I will probably get the 18-135 WR lens with this as I do not already have an WR lens. I have a variety of lenses, none of them especially fast. My go-to on the K200D has been the Tamron 18-250 which I absolutely love for the range, if not the speed and softness at the long end. I am often out where it is sandy/dusty and windy and it doesn't seem advisable to change lenses.. and I don't like to carry a lot of gear. I have reservations about the 18-135 because I love love love long tele shots but I"m afraid if went to a lens that lets me get to 250-300 then I'd miss the wide end.

I realize most of this decision rests on my own particular weight of the issues and my personal preferences but I am just stymied. So, I'm looking for a little assist to help me clarify this so I can place an order and move on to the next obsession!

10-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

Would you consider a K5 II with its upgraded AF?

I have had my K-5 since November of last year and like it a lot, and the top LCD is a deal-killer for me as to the K-30, as well as no grip possible. The grip seems to be (now) a selling point for the K-5 since I noted that my local B&M shop is now bundling naked K-5 bodies with a grip included at an overall reduced price point. It's also bundled with several kit/upgrade lens(es) possibilities.

You right about the choice being personal, thus I would opt for a K-5 or K-5 II ...

Salut et bon courage, John le Frog
10-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

I was in the same boat as you. I have a k10d and wad ready for an upgrade. I must have gone back and forth three or four times. I finally decided on the k30 because of the improved auto focus. The movie mode was nice, but I already have a nice hd camcorder. I was concerned about missing the grip, burst speed and quiet shutter box. I was all set to order and then the k5ii came out. The k5ii seemed the best of both worlds and I was sold. The k5ii was about the same price as the k30 18-135 kit, but I still wanted that lens. So I bit the bullet and ordered the k5ii 18-135 kit. I am confident in my decision and am glad a didn't go the k30 route. Part of me felt I was settling and almost downgrading from the class of camera that the k10d once was. I also own a good amount of f2.8 glass and the improved focusing for fast glass was a big selling point.
10-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Have you handled the cameras? I have a K5 and was in a shop where they had them both in stock. The k-30 felt cramped in my rather large hands. For the shooting I do I would definitely miss the fps that the K5 has, in fact I wish it were quicker. The top LCD is very nice.

I'd wait a few months for the K5II.

10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think both cameras would be such a leap up from the K200D, that you couldn't go wrong. The K-5 has a little more dynamic range. The K-30 might autofocus a little better in low light, but I don't think the difference is that significant in actual use (who knows? Pentax may update the K-5's firmware with the latest improvements.). With the Tamron 18-250, you really aren't going to see that much difference between the bodies (I have the 18-250, and love it, but it's a "Jack of all trades, master of none", and both cameras outperform the lens).

Does the capability to use AA batteries matter? It's convenient for me to be able to swap batteries around in cameras and flashes and only take one general-purpose charger on trips. For me, that was a bigger deciding factor than the top LCD or metal body. Likewise, having color options other than black matters to me, which is the opposite of most. If you shoot old lenses, the focus peaking in the K-30 is really useful.

I second the question if you have handled them both. That probably should be the deciding factor.
10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to wait until there are hands-on reviews on the 5ii out in a few weeks and may go that route. I am hesitant to go to my one and only local camera store for a hands-on since they don't stock much Pentax and their prices are always close to list ... but it makes me feel guilty to use them to see the camera then buy elsewhere. Although I'm sure they're used to it.
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riverlady Quote
Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to wait until there are hands-on reviews on the 5ii out in a few weeks and may go that route. I am hesitant to go to my one and only local camera store for a hands-on since they don't stock much Pentax and their prices are always close to list ... but it makes me feel guilty to use them to see the camera then buy elsewhere. Although I'm sure they're used to it.
Do you have a lot of manual focus lenses? If so, you would really appreciate the focus peaking available with the K-30.

10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riverlady Quote
I will probably get the 18-135 WR lens with this as I do not already have an WR lens. I have a variety of lenses, none of them especially fast. My go-to on the K200D has been the Tamron 18-250 which I absolutely love for the range, if not the speed and softness at the long end. I am often out where it is sandy/dusty and windy and it doesn't seem advisable to change lenses.. and I don't like to carry a lot of gear. I have reservations about the 18-135 because I love love love long tele shots but I"m afraid if went to a lens that lets me get to 250-300 then I'd miss the wide end.
Are you planning on keeping your K200D? If so, you might consider keeping your 18-250 mounted on one, and the 18-135 mounted on the other. That way you'd have the range from 18-250 without having to switch lenses in the field. Of course, this doesn't really jibe with your not liking to carry much gear.

EDIT:
Also, your post implies you do landscapes. I wouldn't think autofocus would be as crucial, considering landscapes don't really move much.