Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What Should I Do?

The button fell off and is currently at CRIS' in AZ. The camera was a month past the warranty period when it occurred and I sent it off because that's where the local repair center would send it(the retailer said repairs could be done locally under their extended warranty). CRIS gave an estimate of $130. Factory Repair Center(owner of the warranty)sez I have to ship it to the retailer who will send it to them and it MIGHT be done for free(they'll work with me on the price).

Should I pay CRIS to send it back to me, pay UPS to NY and wait or just pay the $130 and be done with it. I've already been without the K-5 for over a month and just traded my LX for a second sample(if the button falls off...)?

10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What button fell off, and do you still have it.
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ugh! Thats one problem with third party warranties... you're stuck playing by their crazy rules. Sorry to hear that.
CRIS in AZ will be sending it to CRIS in CO. Sadly, if a repair goes beyond simple cleaning, it will be sent to CRIS in CO.
It is to the point that I may switch brands just based on service options. Really hate to but Pentax really sucks when it comes to choices for repair centers.

Anyway...
If you're paying the bill for shipping and insurance, it might be worth simply having CRIS handle the shipping and repairs internally.
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #4

Seems like a little bit of a rigmarole. If you can, find out if they will do it for free or not before you send it anywhere. $130 seems a little steep just to replace a button.

10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
What button fell off, and do you still have it.
From other posts, I'd assume it's the lens release button...
10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Holmes,

Yeah.
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Jenn,

Can't get around it. Has to be sent.
10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If it's the lens releae button, same thing happened to me. Luckily I saw it before I lost the button. You can insert the button it into position, then use electrical tape over the top to hold it in place as a temporary fix. I used mine this way for about 4 months till I found a window to have it properly fixed. Worked fine.

10-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm hoping this doesn't happen to my K5 and that they've fixed the issue on future models...