Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can K5 AF improve via firmware like K-01?

Can K5 further improve the AF like the K-01 firmware update did?
AF Test after firmware update:

That's a very significant improvement in AF speed (in live view at least)

Now I hope they can update K5 as well...

10-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably not to the same capacity for PDAF, but maybe something similar to the CDAF....

In review of the video, and hopefully John can respond here, it seems to allow the CDAF to rack much faster and still recognize when focus is achieved. I would hazard a guess that prior to 1.01, the K-01 firmware had to cycle through the focus slower so it could recognize when focus was most contrasty. Now 1.01 allows the camera to rack faster - almost to the limits of the lens.

Not sure if this improvement helps with the slower lenses that focus very slowly on the k-01.

Last edited by JinDesu; 10-16-2012 at 08:57 AM.
10-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is always latitude to tune and improve camera firmware. I think Pentax has shown with previous versions of the K-5 firmware that they can do AF tweaking, so anything is possible I guess, including big improvments to speed or accuracy.
10-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Can K5 further improve the AF like the K-01 firmware update did?
AF Test after firmware update: Pentax K-01 Firmware 1.01 AF Test - YouTube

That's a very significant improvement in AF speed (in live view at least)

Now I hope they can update K5 as well...
I think - no. K-5II has new software.

10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

But they wont because of secong gen K5
10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think that there is a limit imposed by the very gross nature of the sensor array used by Pentax in the PDAF. They are a specific size, a certain number, and arranged is a particular pattern. At some point you hit a hardware wall with AF accuracy and speed. While I would really, REALLY, like better AF in the K-5 I am not optimistic about the potential for significant improvement given what we have seen as marginal and very incremental changes in the 13 versions of the firmware to date.
10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-01 only has CD AF. Maybe the CD AF of the K-5 can be improved (is the K-5ii's CD AF already better than the K-5? This would be an interesting test). We will see.

10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They have just announced and released a new DSLR model with an improved AF. Do you really think they would undermine that by improving a discontinued product?
10-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
They have just announced and released a new DSLR model with an improved AF. Do you really think they would undermine that by improving a discontinued product?
I know, that's why the question. I think it is possible, and is a question if they want to do it or not.

Canon 7D firmware update basically make it up to date with improved features. I hope Pentax did that too.
10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know, that's why the question. I think it is possible, and is a question if they want to do it or not.

Canon 7D firmware update basically make it up to date with improved features. I hope Pentax did that too.
As I understand it Ricoh has a history of updating out-of-production models and continuing to support their users post sale. I hope that they do so but would expect that if they do so they may have a pause between the improvements in the II and IIs and providing them for the Classic K-5 via firmware update.
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think a K-5 update would undermine the K-30 and K-5ii, provided they also get the same update (or better, if hardware permits)
10-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #12

I did install new firmwares to my K5 but did not notice anything changes with AF...maybe changes were too little to notice. K5 AF accurancy still sucks...but ok I do take many pics just to make sure...
10-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I know, that's why the question. I think it is possible
Could Pentax do it? I'm sure they could. Will they do it? I seriously doubt it... Pentax has a long history of not adding any firmware features/improvements once a newer product comes out.

Pat
10-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As I understand it Ricoh has a history of updating out-of-production models and continuing to support their users post sale. I hope that they do so but would expect that if they do so they may have a pause between the improvements in the II and IIs and providing them for the Classic K-5 via firmware update.
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Could Pentax do it? I'm sure they could. Will they do it? I seriously doubt it... Pentax has a long history of not adding any firmware features/improvements once a newer product comes out.

Pat
Pat,

But we are now dealing with Ricoh. See my earlier post.
10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Pat
I would agree that no firmware update is coming, however, the K20 did received a firmware update (ver.1.04 4-22-2010) a year after the release of the K7.So it may be remotely possible.
Mike