Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shake reduction with zoom?

I seek the wisdom of the Great Pentaxian Group Mind!

I've recently acquired a lovely Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 zoom, the manual focus version. Needless to say neither my K-10 or K-5 recognize this brass beast to engage the SR. I've encountered this with other, older non-zoom lenses, as the manual says on page 142, I just enter the focal length of the lens and all is well.

Now with a zoom lens: the manual says to enter the focal length at which the zoom will be used!? When I'm shooting at the zoo I want to use all available focal lengths. Does anyone have any ideas? I've been setting it at a sorta, kinda intermediate focal length, like 180mm, on the assumption, perhaps unwarranted, that SR will be more effective if set in the range at which it would be most welcome. Any thoughts out there? Have I missed a vital thread?

10-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In such situations I usually set the focal length for SR to be the minimum focal length of the lens in use - eg in your case 80mm.

My reasoning (perhaps flawed) is that it is better to be conservative rather than over-generous with the amount of SR requested of the camera, as too much SR may do more harm than good, since excessive SR could add blur. So for example if I am shooting a lens at 100mm, I'd rather get 80mm of SR than 150mm of SR.

Having said that, it is also no disaster to just turn SR off completely if it is not needed or wanted.
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I may have to conduct a little experiment. Let's see, 4 or 5 cups of my special strong coffee ought to get a little tremor going, then a series of shots of, say, newsprint at various focal lengths and SR focal length settings. Well, maybe....

It would be nice if turning the SR off were easier on the K-5. Its really easy on the K-10. On the little gripes subject, does anyone else feel that the memory card removal is NOT EASY on the K-5? I may have to pack some rubber tipped tweezers! Be a pity to drop the card into, say, a river! It is much easier on the K-10.
10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
for the memory card try to make it "jump". Press it and then remove the finger fast.

10-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
It would be nice if turning the SR off were easier on the K-5. ... On the little gripes subject, does anyone else feel that the memory card removal is NOT EASY on the K-5?
Agreed on the SR. On the K200D there is a nice SR On|Off switch on the back of the body. But turning it off is only about 2 button pressses on the K-5.

Re SD card removal, it's not torture. I push the card in, it pops out a bit, I grab it firmly, bingo. Wet fingers make it harder, as do gloves.
10-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
for the memory card try to make it "jump". Press it and then remove the finger fast.
Right, but there's still very little to grab onto.
10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the SR focal-length value is also shown on the image exif, I try to choose a value that will be unique to my zooms - so my 70-150 Rikenon is set at 120mm. It shoots 'macro' at 70 so I would set there if closeups were common during a shoot.

10-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On the little gripes subject, does anyone else feel that the memory card removal is NOT EASY on the K-5? I may have to pack some rubber tipped tweezers! Be a pity to drop the card into, say, a river! It is much easier on the K-10.
Yes, it is often more difficult. My biggest concern is that in my haste to get the SD card out I may someday break the card compartment door off as I struggle to get my fingers around both sides of the barely protruding card.
10-17-2012, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Yes, it is often more difficult. My biggest concern is that in my haste to get the SD card out I may someday break the card compartment door off as I struggle to get my fingers around both sides of the barely protruding card.
I hear you! Tell me, does "improvement" always equate to change? The K-10 was very user friendly in this regard. Oh, well....
10-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I hear you! Tell me, does "improvement" always equate to change? The K-10 was very user friendly in this regard. Oh, well....
As I also hear you. My other camera, a K200D, is kind of a "cross-grade" from the K10D. It's much easier to get out as well.
10-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #11

I have no problem with the SD card. Don't hold the flat sides (the door is in the way), hold the edges.
As for SR, if in doubt, switch it off. It is only effective at slow shutter speeds.
10-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K-7 memory card removal is the same - I 'ping' mine: as someone else up thread said, press it fully in and let go quickly and it pops up a little further.

I too loved the little toggle thing you had to turn to open the card door on the K10 too. Progress eh?

Oh yeah, SR. I have a Tamron zoom. I tend to use it nearer the longer end if I use it at all, so I set SR to 180 (I think - is that an option? Not used it for ages. I go for a bit less than the max focal length anyway) The switch for SR on the K10 was also useful
10-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for the comments. We're going to the Atlanta Zoo on Saturday with the two Infantas, Audrey - almost three- and Sofia- a "big girl" of almost five. I think I'll mount the kit lens on my K-10 and the 80-200 Tokina on the K-5. At the last visit I lost shots having to switch from one to the other. Of course I may need a gun-bearer to schlepp the load! With my first expedition with the Tokina I'd sent the SR to 180mm, Northern Soul, I think I'll try it again. Jimr-pdx I like your idea of a compromise setting to allow lens identification. Good thinking!

This thread shows the value of PentaxForums!