Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I want a K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition!
Yes 7050.36%
No 6949.64%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Don't care if it's limited or not but would like another color besides black !
Yellow!!

10-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though silver is a change from the boring and all-too-common black, I would not pay a considerable amount more for a colored camera.
If both black and silver were around the same price, then maybe I'd consider it... but for now, I'm pretty content with by blue K-30.
10-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only if the silver was true brushed aluminum or stainless. I'd just as soon have black for a plastic/composite body shell.
10-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi;2143829[B:
]Only if the silver was true brushed aluminum [/B]or stainless. I'd just as soon have black for a plastic/composite body shell.
wow that would be cool!

10-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Forum Member

PRECISELY! It doesn't get much uglier than plastic silver. Make it an actual metal to truly set it apart (and justify the price difference, as distribution alone doesn't nearly explain that gap) and it will be something worth buying. Otherwise it's a slightly less obnoxious version of the rainbow K-x.

Also, traditionally silver plastic has been distinctly the hallmark of consumer 35mm SLRs, my Pentax ZX-10 included. I don't understand why people get so excited about a silver plastic edition of a camera.
10-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

--Why on earth pay for silver? If you own a few FA* lenses in silver and the three amigo Limiteds in silver, then it's just kind of fun to use the silver bodies. Note that the vast majority of my shooting is done where I never see anybody and am not even in cell service so it's 100% my own aesthetic enjoyment shooting silver, not the "cool" factor. Even though it does look cool to me!

--Paying extra for an aesthetic choice is silly? Actually, aesthetic values are more important for my happiness than I can express. Also, I either paid the same or only $100 more for the silver K5 (version 1) than what was then the current going price of the standard version. Yeah, it was posted by the Pentax store $100 lower than intended for a few hours...and I got in on it. Somebody else may remember better than I, I think they accidentally posted it at the same price as black for about half a day? They bumped the price a few hours later but honored the "oops" price for those of us that "early adopted."

--What really drives price? Which brings up the real price killer. If you buy upon first release you will pay the highest price ever asked for any Pentax item...Just look at the K5 right now (or even just before the K5II or s versions came out)...about half what it was introduced for. So guys like me who bought most of the FA* and Limited lenses at "full boat" price when first released ended up paying premium. Wait until a product is obsolete and it's much cheaper regardless of color. However, my metallic silver Limiteds all sell for more now on the used market than I paid as new releases. Also true for the FA* 200 Macro that has tripled in value since I bought mine new for $1300. Sure, the bodies never go up in value, but even tacky plastic silver cameras look fine next to my silver lenses.

--Silver release means something! Note that in the past, Pentax silver camera releases have been a "later generation" release foretelling a new camera coming soon. Since I already have the silver K5, the only reason I'd buy a silver K5IIs would be so my existing RRS L bracket would fit. Wait 6 months after the silver K5IIs and there will be a new 24 megapixel body...APS-C of course. Even though I own the full line up of full frame lenses, I don't expect we'll ever see a full frame Pentax body. Gave up on that years ago...
10-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So is there anybody hoping for this to come?

...as long as it has brown leather trim....

10-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

wowww.. i dont know K=7 is also in silver

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I'm a little partial to silver....both my K-7 and K-5 (1st run) being that way....depending on how much better the k5iis is from the K5...I might be tempted...
10-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #24

I am pretty much looking forward for a silver version. I love my silver K-5. Photography is just a hobby for me. As a matter of fact, not every purchase is a logical purchase, but emotional. So, as soon as a silver K-5 IIs is available, I will pay a premium price to get it :-)
10-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #25
Banned

I don't see a difference between the black and silver, in terms of performance.

Must be consumerism.

In Europe, when Pentax released the silver, they got laughed at and it definitely damaged their reputation, even on those diehard German forums, due to the pricing.
10-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I don't see a difference between the black and silver, in terms of performance.
Well that is not for me so. I'm more happy going out with my K-5 Silver and thus making better images

For me it is also convenient, but that is my own weird brain. I use three camera at the time. K-5 Regular, K-5 Silver and K-01 Yellow. so I have a set off lenses that go for each camera in basic (they all fit, but lenses have their own camera).

Following lens use, first named is most used and so on:
- K-01: FA31mm, FA*85mm, DA*55mm, DA40mm and DA*300mm
- K-5 regular (currently my 4th body): Sigma 70-200mm, FA31mm
- K-5 Silver: DA*300mm, FA*85mm, DA40mm and DA*55mm
Where the first two lenses (with K-5 regular that is just the Sigma) for each camera probably uses 90 % off the working time.

I sometimes take a lot off gear with me, but most of the time I try to avoid that and take just a selected part with me. So I make teams:
- K-5/Sigma and K-01/FA31mm are a good team.
- K-5Silver/DA*300 and K-01/FA*85 are a good team.
- Just for fun I take only K-01 with one lens attached, making a choice for what ever to expect. I only take a second lens with me for this on a rare occasion (or K-5 Silver with DA40mm).
- K-5S/DA*300 and K-5/Sigma and K-01/FA31 is a good team for sportscovering. I mostly do take the FA*85 with me for that.
- K-01/FA31/FA*85/DA*55 and K-5S/DA40 is a good set for when I go out for taking movieclips and have a camera for some stills.

The handy thing is that my brain knows wich pictures is taken with wich camera, since the color off the camera is set to the scenery.

I also use a different naming for files for each camera:
K-01: we can't change that so it is just _IGP****
K-5 regular: _K5A**** and when the letter is full I go to _K5B***** and I'm currently working with _K5S****
K-5 Silver: _S5Z**** and when the letter is fill I go to S5Y**** and I'm currently working with _S5L****
I did skip some letters and sometimes switcht early for some reasons I never know.

I use the camera's a lot and for me I do get extra's for paying just a little more to get the color that appeals to me.

P.S.:
I did not pay extra to get shiny rims and tires on my car!

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 10-27-2012 at 06:48 AM.
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by intjonmiller Quote
Also, traditionally silver plastic has been distinctly the hallmark of consumer 35mm SLRs, my Pentax ZX-10 included. I don't understand why people get so excited about a silver plastic edition of a camera.
Just to be clear (at least on the K-5 version 1 Silver Body) there is very little "Silver Plastic." It is mostly powder coat over metal. The only parts that are plastic are the pop-up flash piece, the battery compartment door, and the on-off switch ring around the shutter button.

The 1st version also had the more substantial grip and the reinforced glass on the LCD. For some these features might not justify paying extra, but obviously there are a few us out there. I am only beginning to consider selling my K-5 Silver because despite having less features, I just use my K-01 more often (now you know I'm really messed up, right?)
12-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
Well I ordered a K-5 II (regular black) today. My K-5 Silver is still working, but getting old. So a shiny new K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition would be great for easter.
12-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I vote for Titanium, just like the Nikon F-3T, Nikon 35Ti or FM2/T.
03-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I vote for Titanium
If you will pardon my use of the vernacular, but Titanium is a b*tch of a metal to work with. Die cast parts have to be vacuum cast - because if the molten metal comes into contact with oxygen it will explode. Machining Titanuim is also a b*tch, because the metal becomes "sticky" at temperatures over 150degrees, tools and drill bits become prone to seizing and the inevitably break.