Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: I want a K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition!
Yes 7050.36%
No 6949.64%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
How about a BRASS plate K-5 IIs or K-3?

03-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you will pardon my use of the vernacular, but Titanium is a b*tch of a metal to work with. Die cast parts have to be vacuum cast - because if the molten metal comes into contact with oxygen it will explode. Machining Titanuim is also a b*tch, because the metal becomes "sticky" at temperatures over 150degrees, tools and drill bits become prone to seizing and the inevitably break.
Titanium coating, of course, gets around those issues although the gold appearance of titanium nitride may not appeal (and the reactions here to the gold special edition LX suggest that's likely). Most people probably associate titanium with a grey colour, so there's always aluminium-titanium nitride. The abrasion resistance of each is high, however, so that'd be a bonus, and a great fit with the outdoors orientation of the WR Pentaxes.

Other than that, you can always use electrical discharge machining, rather than mechanical cutting technologies, on the base material, to avoid the problems of overheating. EDM is slow but precise, and avoids the necessity to add a finishing process in many instances.
03-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How about a BRASS plate K-5 IIs or K-3?
I would be quite happy with that, especially if they gave the newer camera a paint finish that would brass over time.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Titanium coating, of course, gets around those issues although the gold appearance of titanium nitride may not appeal (and the reactions here to the gold special edition LX suggest that's likely). Most people probably associate titanium with a grey colour, so there's always aluminium-titanium nitride. The abrasion resistance of each is high, however, so that'd be a bonus, and a great fit with the outdoors orientation of the WR Pentaxes.
Titanium plating would increase durability and reduce production costs associated with a die cast titanium body material, but even if the camera were plated there would be a cost premium associated with that - and it would be a High one.
03-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
Banned

I'd not mind brass, to be honest. The cam might be significantly heavier, but this is a better use than the MX1 because I doubt long-term durability of the innards compared to the investment quality of the brass parts.

03-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Those with colored cameras (silver included) do they chip or scratch?
03-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Those with colored cameras (silver included) do they chip or scratch?
For my feelings they tend to get old very nice:

My K-5 Silver Limited Edition is now 23 months in my camerabag and is heavily used. The shuttercount is now around 132.000 so that is hard working. I'm not very nicely with my gear, since I sometimes have to put it on the ground to get a shot with another camera, and I can't allways be gentle with that.
03-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Special Edition cameras are worthless unless the upgrade is more than just cosmetic.
03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Special Edition cameras are worthless unless the upgrade is more than just cosmetic.
Then don't buy fancy clothing, since it's just cosmetic

03-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
From the perpetual availability and normal pricing of both runs of the silver K-5, I would have to say that it hardly qualifies as a "special edition" as much as it is an "alternate color".
03-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #40

I don't think it worth the price, I would like to use the money buy a used lens.
03-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A K5IIs in silver would be very tempting...
04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Hum... if you consider history, such silver models usually appear in march (announcement) for delivery in april.
Could it be that Pentax has decided to postpone this practice ?

In any case, this one of mine - i got it last year only to use the DA Limited silver 40mm XS - is brand new (never used) and for sale :

04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If they made a silver battery grip for it too, that would make an awesome package.
An entire "Limited Edition" package. One big box.
  • All the DA Lminiteds in Silver
  • All the FA Limiteds in Silver
  • Silver Metal K5 IIs with Silver Grip and special focusing screens.
Same thing in Black.
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
An entire "Limited Edition" package. One big box.
  • All the DA Lminiteds in Silver
  • All the FA Limiteds in Silver
  • Silver Metal K5 IIs with Silver Grip and special focusing screens.
Same thing in Black.
Well maybe they could add a Silver batterypack and Silver SDHC card

How great this does sound, I'm afraid that box would be to expensive.
02-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
--Why on earth pay for silver? If you own a few FA* lenses in silver and the three amigo Limiteds in silver, then it's just kind of fun to use the silver bodies. Note that the vast majority of my shooting is done where I never see anybody and am not even in cell service so it's 100% my own aesthetic enjoyment shooting silver, not the "cool" factor. Even though it does look cool to me!

--Paying extra for an aesthetic choice is silly? Actually, aesthetic values are more important for my happiness than I can express. Also, I either paid the same or only $100 more for the silver K5 (version 1) than what was then the current going price of the standard version. Yeah, it was posted by the Pentax store $100 lower than intended for a few hours...and I got in on it. Somebody else may remember better than I, I think they accidentally posted it at the same price as black for about half a day? They bumped the price a few hours later but honored the "oops" price for those of us that "early adopted."

--What really drives price? Which brings up the real price killer. If you buy upon first release you will pay the highest price ever asked for any Pentax item...Just look at the K5 right now (or even just before the K5II or s versions came out)...about half what it was introduced for. So guys like me who bought most of the FA* and Limited lenses at "full boat" price when first released ended up paying premium. Wait until a product is obsolete and it's much cheaper regardless of color. However, my metallic silver Limiteds all sell for more now on the used market than I paid as new releases. Also true for the FA* 200 Macro that has tripled in value since I bought mine new for $1300. Sure, the bodies never go up in value, but even tacky plastic silver cameras look fine next to my silver lenses.

--Silver release means something! Note that in the past, Pentax silver camera releases have been a "later generation" release foretelling a new camera coming soon. Since I already have the silver K5, the only reason I'd buy a silver K5IIs would be so my existing RRS L bracket would fit. Wait 6 months after the silver K5IIs and there will be a new 24 megapixel body...APS-C of course. Even though I own the full line up of full frame lenses, I don't expect we'll ever see a full frame Pentax body. Gave up on that years ago...
Have you ungiven up yet, now that the K1 is here?