Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

HELP - F-- Error (Blinking) with new SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7

Hello everyone, I was so excited to get my brand new second hand "SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7" based on the great reviews. Sadly the only thing I see when I attach it to my new K5 if a blinking "F--". the lens appears to be in good order but for some reason my K5 refuses to take a pic. when its on. All is still well with the kit lens (18-55), but I was soooo looking fwd to making some Bokeh.

I'd hate to have to return the lens, please help.

Ian

10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Set allow use of aperture ring in the function menu. Your Owner's Manual should tell you where in the menu to locate it.
10-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's all you need to know: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Please read: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
All you need to know for manual lenses.

Edit: Adam beat me,,,

10-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Parallax, thanks a bunch! It worked. I just set the "Using Aperture Ring" to "permitted", in settings > C > 4 > 27. One of the reasons I bought the K5 in the first place is because it allows me to use these old lenses, and start to pretend to look like a Pro. Loving the sharpness, and the pleasant surprise on my quest into the secret realms of manual photography, is that that little red focus indicator light is a great help when it comes to telling me where the "focus sweet spot" is.

Thanks again.
10-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

now you know the secret, use it wisely!
10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by IanAntonio Quote
that little red focus indicator light is a great help when it comes to telling me where the "focus sweet spot" is.
One thing to beware of is that the red square is not actually a focus indicator, but a focus point indicator. There is a green hexagon in the viewfinder that will light up/fill up when you have focus. The red indicator usually fires around the same time as the green hexagon, but it is not reliable for actual indication of focus like the hexagon is.