Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My new Pentax K5

I just received my new Pentax K-5 body and lens today from UPS. None of the local camera shops in the Salt Lake City, Utah area stock them. I pretty much relied on all the reviews, in making my decision to buy it. What a nice, solid, very well made camera! It feels great in the hands. The rear thumrest and front grip, feel better to me, than any of the competitors. The quality and ergonomics are better, than I expected. I have the battery charging up tonight. I'm looking forward to getting out with it tomorrow and shooting some Fall colors and streams. Weather permitting, there is supposed to be some good meteor showers this weekend, too. I'll have to try it on a tripod, in bulb mode. See if I can get the Milky Way, with some shooting stars. I haven't been this excited about photography, since I got my first SLR, back in the mid 70's.

Happy trails, John

Last edited by JD44; 10-19-2012 at 08:31 PM.
10-19-2012, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a great time with it, it's been hard for me to find fault with the K-5 that's for sure. Don't forget to try Film Reversal setting with your autumn colors, that can add amazing vibrancy to the leaves. Good luck with the night skies, that's something I want to try but haven't yet... still deciding whether to grab an O-GPS1 for those times.
10-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new K-5!

I had to do the same when buying my first K-5 - was upgrading from a K20D but had no way to hold one in my hands. I also relied on our forum members here for details. Something like the "feel" of the camera in your hands is very hard to explain or convey to someone else. I remember first getting it out of the box last November and how it felt so right in my hands. To this day I still feel that way every time I pick up my camera.

Enjoy your new K-5 as it certainly is a treat!
10-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jim and Stan. I'll have to read up on that film reversal. I don't know if that is a setting that I do prior to taking the picture or afterwards, in the camera.

10-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JD44 Quote
Thanks Jim and Stan. I'll have to read up on that film reversal. I don't know if that is a setting that I do prior to taking the picture or afterward, in the camera.
You can do it both ways. For me, I like to shoot with my standard settings in case I don't like the effect of any of the special filters. One of the great things about our Pentax cameras is the included software - Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

Now most people will just pass by the included software - myself included until I realized what you can do with it. When you open an image in the utility, you can change the image to any of the special settings that are available in the camera like the different film-type modes that jimr talked about - and also the different custom jpeg settings like "Bright" or "Vibrant" or "muted", etc. It really is worth your time to take some images taken in whatever standard mode you usually do, and play around with the utility software. I've never used the "Film Reversal" mode as jimr said, so I just opened up one of my fall scenery shots in the utility and clicked on the "Film Reversal" setting just to see what it looked like. Real easy to do and you don't affect your original image as you can save your modified one separately if you want.
10-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently upgraded from a K-7 to a K-5. They both have the same great body and ergonomics, but the sensor in the latter is truly remarkable. I hope that you will enjoy your new camera as much as I do mine.

Rob
10-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #7

Just wanted to add a "me too". Just finished charging the battery on my new K-5, and have been walking through the settings. Hoping our rain in Maine will stop so I can get out (I know the body is WR, but my WR lens hasn't arrived yet!).
10-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase.
After having a K10 for 4 years, I also have a K-5 which I bought this May.

The reviews are a good way to judge equipment, and ina way put me off the K-7.
However, the biggest influence on my decision is checking the "post your photos".
Some really good photographers, and there's no distraction from the arguments about needing FF and the like.
Just people taking photos. That's about as good a review as I need - seeing results.

10-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and enjoy the fine camera. It's certainly capable in the majority of situations to get the shots you're after.
10-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on the K-5, I too have found this camera is actually the nicest camera I have ever had, it is so intuitive and easy to use(one you learn all the controls)
I moved up from a K-X(although I still use the K-X a lot) and from day one I was very impressed at just how much easier and faster it is to use, I am getting to the point where I barely think about my settings consciously as much as I to the K-X. With the K-X it was a pain in the arse to have to keep diving into the menus whenever I needed to change a setting, now with the K-5 I have those really useful e dials.
I too liked how it felt in my hands, and am still enjoying the feel of this camera, once I got the grip, it really opened a whole new world for me because I have such huge hands and that grip really fills the void perfectly. Of you are thinking of getting a grip, I suggest you don't wast time getting one, and if you do make sure you get the genuine grip...you will understand why once you get one.
Have fun with your new toy
10-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Congrats on your purchase.
After having a K10 for 4 years, I also have a K-5 which I bought this May.

The reviews are a good way to judge equipment, and ina way put me off the K-7.
However, the biggest influence on my decision is checking the "post your photos".
Some really good photographers, and there's no distraction from the arguments about needing FF and the like.
Just people taking photos. That's about as good a review as I need - seeing results.
Same thing here, there isn't anything like seeing the output of these cameras that that is better for making a decision to buy one.
Like you said-"just people taking photos"
most other threads I have read in here are about folks chasing the next "big thing'' when in reality they are just wasting time and not going after their passion......photography, instead it seams like they are just out there to out do the "Joneses", if you wanna do that then just go and chase all those Canonikon Full Frame pipe dreams.
10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #12

My K5 keeps me smiling too. It is easy to use, controls are in convenient places AND it just feels perfect in my hands. All that is without mentioning the great colour.
10-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I took the new K-5 out for the first time today. I took a tripod and shot some pictures of waterfalls and some Fall colors. I shot in Aperature Priority mode. I put a ND4 (neutral density) filter on it, to slow the shutter speed down to one second or more to get that velvet flow of the water. I experimented a little with the color extract and high contrast on the Fall colors. The pictures turned out quite nice, but I have a lot of learning to do, The K-5 can be a very complex camera if you want it to be.

Thanks for the welcome everyone and the tips, John